Error in The Tutors paper?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manny0311

Re: Error in The Tutors paper?

Post by Manny0311 »

Sally-Anne wrote:
Manny0311 wrote:Can someone please verify Q74 on paper 5B from "the tutors" - Code question.

Don't look right. Anyone come across this one ??
It is correct, but it is a tricky little question.

LAMP ... PALM ... LAMB ... BALE

1 must be A.

2 in 3rd position can be M or L, and in first position can be L P or B. It must therefore be L.

5 in 3rd position can be M or L, but it can't be L because we have already worked out that 2 is L, so it must therefore be M.

The rest follows from there, and the code for PALM is 3125.

These papers have been around a very long time, Manny, and I think all the errors have been ironed out of them now.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, I kept goingfor the "B"s !!
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

Manny0311 wrote:
Sally-Anne wrote:
Manny0311 wrote:Can someone please verify Q74 on paper 5B from "the tutors" - Code question.

Don't look right. Anyone come across this one ??
It is correct, but it is a tricky little question.

LAMP ... PALM ... LAMB ... BALE

1 must be A.

2 in 3rd position can be M or L, and in first position can be L P or B. It must therefore be L.

5 in 3rd position can be M or L, but it can't be L because we have already worked out that 2 is L, so it must therefore be M.

The rest follows from there, and the code for PALM is 3125.

These papers have been around a very long time, Manny, and I think all the errors have been ironed out of them now.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, I kept goingfor the "B"s !!
Alternatively, it could be looked in a different way, just having looked at it again..

Why not look at any numbers and letters that only appear once..

For example in this one, "E" only appears once and so does "6" so the six has to be an E....I guess this won't work everytime will it ??
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Manny0311 wrote:Alternatively, it could be looked in a different way, just having looked at it again..

Why not look at any numbers and letters that only appear once..

For example in this one, "E" only appears once and so does "6" so the six has to be an E....I guess this won't work everytime will it ??
Unfortunately not. It is a shortcut that the very brightest children can spot immediately when it does turn up, but it is too easy to overlook something and make a false start, so it is best to do the basic groundwork. Once children get the knack of these questions they can solve them very quickly anyway.
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

Hello

Please can someone shed some light on this one. The correct answer I think isn't an option on the answer paper - I think !

Tutors paper Two-B Q80

Mr Edwards, Mr Peace and Mr Gearing work in the city
Mr Edwards leaves for work at 8.30, fifteen minutes after Mr Peace. (Mr Peace leaves at 8.15?)It takes Mr Peace 55mins to get to work, 10 mins less than Mr Gearing who leaves home at 8.00am
(I take it Mr Peace then gets to work at 9.10 and Mr Gearing gets to work at 9.20?)
What time does Mr Gearing arrive ?

Thank You
patricia

Post by patricia »

All questions which involve a trip should be laid out on a table, quick rough lines, no rulers.

L = left
TT = Time Taken
A = Arrived

Put a ring on the table = where Mr Gearing arrives as this is the information required.

...........E............. P.............. G
L..........8.30..........8.15........8.00
TT.................... ....55..........65
A........................................9.05

Its 10 minute less in time taken, not their arrival time.

Patricia
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

patricia

Yes, thanks and understood. I misinterpreted the question. He nearly got it. He put down 9.15 !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now