susan daughtrey books

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

susan daughtrey books

Post by Guest »

I hope somebody can help. I have been reading about VR books on this site (I am looking at N London schools) and I notice lots of recommendations for the Susan Daughtrey Bright Sparks as opposed to her series 1-7 books which have step by step techniques in them. If they are no good for NFER style tests what are they good for? People must buy them or they would not be still published. We are looking at QE/Latymer/Mill Hill. Any other recommendations?
angelz

susan daughtry

Post by angelz »

Hi guest,

My advice would be to post your query in the location specific thread. That way you will receive advice from parents who have experience in your area.

I am in Lincs and we also have NFER papers for VR and NVR. The work I did with my son was based almost entirely around the Susan Daughtry books as they were recommended to us by a member of staff in our local book store as being appropriate to the tests, and the material of choice by the local tutors.

My Son ( and I ) found the books very easy to understand and enabled practice in all question types and highlighted any problem areas for us to pay closer attention to.

My son passed and has been offered a place at the Grammer he wanted, so we have found they definatly worked for us. However, as i said before I would seek advice from those with experience in your area to be sure.
Hope this helps in some way :)
angelz

Post by Guest »

thank you angelz

were the books you used her bright sparks or books one to seven
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

If the school/area you are applying for uses NFER Multiple Choice Verbal Reasoning, then its only her Bright Sparks series which are relevant.

Nfer= 15/21 types of questions

Susan Daughtrey Books 1-7= 40 plus [35 with some split into a,b,c]

If you require a method and technique book for NFER/MC/VR then you need to buy a technique book from IPS, they cover the correct 21 types [ or 15, ]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=85" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
mum

Post by mum »

I've recently bought Susan Daughtrey Bright Sparks (std version). It has got total 4 test papers. Somewher in this form I've read Patricia mentioned, there are 2x4 sets = 8 papers. Can you please advice me, how many papers should be there in Bright Sparks Std. book ?
mum
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mum

I can find the new set of 4 in the websites bookshop, but its Multiple Choice. Why dont you ring Lee and ask about the standard form set?

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now