No consistency in his papers

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manny0311

No consistency in his papers

Post by Manny0311 »

Hello all

My DS has virtually finished his 10 IPS test papers, the ones with 50 questions which need to be completed in 30 mins. He is doing paper 10 before i move him across to the "tutors" papers.

His scores have ranged from 78 - 92%. One day he'll do it and score in the 70's. The next day he does one, he'll get a 90. Is this normal ?

Out of the 9 papers done so far he has got into the 90's, 3 times.

Strange that where he gets 100% in certain types, he'll get a couple wrong in them when he does them another day. Very frustrating !

Should I move him on to the next stage? I'm going through the paper with him each time to iron out any misunderstandings or whether they have been just genuine silly mistakes.

Any input would be much appreicated.
Manny0311

Re: No consistency in his papers

Post by Manny0311 »

Manny0311 wrote:Hello all

My DS has virtually finished his 10 IPS test papers, the ones with 50 questions which need to be completed in 30 mins. He is doing paper 10 before i move him across to the "tutors" papers.

His scores have ranged from 78 - 92%. One day he'll do it and score in the 70's. The next day he does one, he'll get a 90. Is this normal ?

Out of the 9 papers done so far he has got into the 90's, 3 times.

Strange that where he gets 100% in certain types, he'll get a couple wrong in them when he does them another day. Very frustrating !

Should I move him on to the next stage? I'm going through the paper with him each time to iron out any misunderstandings or whether they have been just genuine silly mistakes.

Any input would be much appreicated.
Marks so far out of 50 on each one, in number order are: 40, 38, 41, 38, 41, 46, 45, 39, 37
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I'd be thrilled with those results. My ds is only scoring 65%. I think ds 2 is going to e a borderline candidate. :(

Sorry, didn't really answer your question.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Knock out the two highest and two lowest scores, and you will find that he is scoring very consistently. Make a note of the time of day he does the tests, and what he has just done (or is about to do once the test is finished). It defnitely makes a difference!
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

faitaccompli wrote:Knock out the two highest and two lowest scores, and you will find that he is scoring very consistently. Make a note of the time of day he does the tests, and what he has just done (or is about to do once the test is finished). It defnitely makes a difference!
Hi thanks for the info. He complted his last one today. Did exactly as you suggested and took the average of the 6 papers (taking out 2 highest and 2 lowest) Get an average of circa 79%. Would have thought he'd get more over 10 papers ?? Dont know whether this is good or bad ???
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I think - or at least I hope - that variation is natural at this point with 5 months still to go. We haven't done as many of those IPS papers yet but in the 3 we have it's the time to complete that is our variation. In terms of scores DD has got 48, 49, 47 but the times have been 25mins, 40 mins, 30 mins. Glad we didn't rest on our laurels after the first one.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Take heart from the fact that he can score highly and isn't consistently getting 20 %...then you should worry !

From my own experience with 2 DS s I would say it very much depends on how they are feeling....a bit tired, miffed at having to do a paper, needing cake...that sort of thing.I'm sure with practice, practice, practice you will find he starts scoring highly more often then not .Just bear in mind the cheeky so and so' s do keep you hanging until the last minute. My DS1 made ridiculous mistakes right up until the big day , but since told me he was resting really and knew he could pull it out of the bag when the time came. :roll: :evil:
Orson

Post by Orson »

He's a 9/10 year old boy. Enough said.

The fact that he can score 90% is key. You should be encouraged to know that he is able but inconsistent/careless rather than struggling.

Consistency will come with further practice and the steady realisation that good test technique, i.e. moving on when stuck, returning to omissions with time in hand, logical 'guessing', using the process of elimination, thorough and effective checking etc. will lead to improved scores.

...and bribery often works wonders.
toolate

Post by toolate »

Can I ask - on a separate note - are you doing these as 30 minute tests? If you are - then I think his results are awesome. My DS can score in the 80s & 90's but only if I don't stop the clock. If I do - he is more like in the 70's.

That said DS did a mock with a company found on this website on Friday and scored 87% and said he completed it all except for one type Z. I have received reassurance on another thread that the IPS papers are tough to do in the time.
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

Hello Toolate

Yes, he has now completed these 10 X 30min papers, all within the time. I felt these papers were quite tricky. Are they easier or harder than GL assessment ? I'm starting on "The Tutors" papers tomorrow.
Good Luck !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now