Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:48 pm 

Hi apologies if already on the site somewhere but is there anywhere here where I can get access to a supply of practice questions please on similar and opposite in meanings ?
Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:31 pm 

advertising removed by a moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm 

With my DD I used the practice questions in mainly the IPS materials but also SD (we were short on time). Any words she didnt know/got wrong - I wrote on a postcard and then got her using a thesaurus to find similars/opposites. I then kept testing her. Having more prep time with my DS - I printed off 'Patricia's important words for verbal reasoning' off this site and we went through and crossed off the ones he KNEW. For these we then discussed words similar/opposite in meaning and/or he looked up in a thesaurus. For the ones he didnt/doesnt know - we take between 10 and 20 a week and discuss the meaning and then do the same similar/opposite exercise. But I then randomly ask from the others and keep a note of ones he doesn't know. Its definitely worked because on practice papers he is getting normally a minimum of 6/8 right and normally more. When he has done a practice paper, I go through all the words on the similar/opposite sections and (even if he got the question right - as there could be 4 words per question he doesn't know) discuss them - if there are any that I need to add to the 'shortlist' I have from Patricia's list I do that. I do the same with the type B questions too and have also produced a list of 'baby animals, animal group names, instruments, colours etc etc' that we do a similar exercise with.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:24 pm 

Stocky, That is very useful. Thank You