letts vr paper c q62

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chelmsford dad

Re: letts vr paper c q62

Post by chelmsford dad »

DC17C above appears to have the same version as me aswell so hopefully im not going mad :cry:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

chelmsford dad wrote:DC17C above appears to have the same version as me aswell so hopefully im not going mad :cry:
I'm feeling slightly mad as well - I keep picking up the paper and staring at it in case I've mis-read it, but I definitely haven't!
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Sally-Anne wrote:I'm feeling slightly mad as well - I keep picking up the paper and staring at it in case I've mis-read it, but I definitely haven't!
Ha ha!! So do I!!! I've definitely got the correct version too!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Bizarre! I'm off to lie down in a darkened room ... :lol:
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Orson wrote:a = 10 b = 15 c = 4 d = 25 e = 5

d - a x e / b
= 25 - 10 x 5 / 15
= 15 x 5 / 15
= 75 / 15
= 5
= e

Sorry but I disagree. I think you have calculated left to right rather than using BODMAS.

= 25 - 10 x 5 / 15
= 25 - 50/15
= 25 - 10/3
=25-3.33
=21.67
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

I think that part of the problem is that you are meant to calculate from left to right rather than BODMAS. Which does not solve the problem of two versions of the same paper - one of which is unworkable no matter which method is used!
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

faitaccompli wrote: I think that part of the problem is that you are meant to calculate from left to right rather than BODMAS.
You are supposed to do what is basically a maths question by breaking the basic rules of maths????

I am sorry but I am not teaching my DS to do this type of question left to right. I will describe these questions as mistakes on any practice papers that I come across and hope they do follow the correct rules in the real exam!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

chelmsford dad wrote:DC17C above appears to have the same version as me aswell so hopefully im not going mad :cry:
No sorry - this is the copy I have- like Sally-Anne wrote

A = 10, B = 15, C = 4, D = 25, E = 5

The original question from Chelmsford dad had

a=5 b=15 c=4 d=25 e=10

also code 022/10
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

999 mum wrote:
faitaccompli wrote: I think that part of the problem is that you are meant to calculate from left to right rather than BODMAS.
You are supposed to do what is basically a maths question by breaking the basic rules of maths????

I am sorry but I am not teaching my DS to do this type of question left to right. I will describe these questions as mistakes on any practice papers that I come across and hope they do follow the correct rules in the real exam!
The GL/Letts papers all work from left to right rather than Bodmas.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

yoyo123 wrote:
999 mum wrote:

The GL/Letts papers all work from left to right rather than Bodmas.
The questions were written in such a way that even if they were evaluated left to right they still followed the bodmas rule on the the old Letts papers. On the new papers the publishers issued corrected pdf pages when contacted (as discussed in the thread I mentioned in my previous post).

I haven't seen the new GL papers so I cannot comment on them.