A Little worried can someone offer advice

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
janet71

A Little worried can someone offer advice

Post by janet71 »

As we all know only a few months to go BUT I am a little worried as my DS was scoring late 70-mid 80% on GL pack1 (in the 50mins) and about late 60-mid70% on Bright sparks pack1 (which I believe are harder than GL so I wasnt too concerned) however we have moved onto GL Pack2 and hes only getting late 60-early 70% should I be worried?
Of course we dont know the pass rate so its hard to aim for a % but Ive told my DS that he should be looking to get over 75% to be in with a chance (He was born Dec so will be one of the older kids) - Am I right/wrong? what scores are normal to get a pass?
I know this is the VR thread but hes the same in NVR too if that helps comment
Reading Mum

Re: A Little worried can someone offer advice

Post by Reading Mum »

Pack 2 are supposed to be harder than pack 1
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Thats reassuring to know thanks - Ill stop worrying :wink:
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Did a few more in pack 2 and got up to 81% so a little relieved now - only a few weeks to go
eyelashes

Post by eyelashes »

@Janet 71 my DS scored 65 per cent in June on bright sparks question paper 6 (as he couldn't complete the paper on time) but by september was scoring higher marks -about 88% per cent and passed his verbal and non verbal reasoning tests. So with time and plenty of practice- the scores do improve drastically so try not to worry too much.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

eyelashes wrote:@Janet 71 my DS scored 65 per cent in June on bright sparks question paper 6 (as he couldn't complete the paper on time) but by september was scoring higher marks -about 88% per cent and passed his verbal and non verbal reasoning tests. So with time and plenty of practice- the scores do improve drastically so try not to worry too much.
Similar here, both my DS's suddenly got very proficient at just the right moment! Phew!
scary mum
janet71

Post by janet71 »

I ordered Bright sparks pack 2 this week and I ususally look through the papers to pick out words my DS may not know and I add them to the list of words we have to learn on the way to school. I could only find about 5 so I was pleased that he must be getting better. We are doing a test of VR & NVR a week at the moment but when my DS breaks up for the summer hols in 2 weeks then we will give it a final push and redo all the Bright sparks & GL tests. I have reprinted off all the words we have been learning since Feb to see how many he has forgotten and been redoing them - shocked that he hasnt forgotten too many so far :D
My DS keeps say "when I pass" and I say "If you pass" always the pessamistic but he corrects me and says "no mum when not if" I hope hes right :?