How much is too much?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
katel

Post by katel »

I do worry when passing the 11+ seems to be an end in itself. What happens next? Has anybody done a study of the outcomes for heavily coached children?

Post by Guest »

bexley 2 wrote:If my child needed anything like as much these children are put through before their tests I would doubt whether they really are grammer school material.
I'm not sure it's always that the children really need it,more likely that the parents are anxious and worried,just don't know but want to give their children the best chance they can.

Post by Guest »

bexley 2 wrote:
If my child needed anything like as much these children are put through before their tests I would doubt whether they really are grammer school material.

I'm not sure it's always that the children really need it,more likely that the parents are anxious and worried,just don't know but want to give their children the best chance they can.
I agree with guest. I think many overcoached children making it to grammar are overcoached owing to parental panic rather than that childs complete inability to do the exam. I doubt very much that there is any correlation between overcoaching (especially in areas that sit English and maths written papers) and ability to cope at grammar. It would make for a nice piece of research though if you could ever identify the overcoached children or get parents to actually admit how much coaching their child has had. I don't know about you but most playground parents I know are relucatant to talk about the names of their tutors let alone the work their children get!!!!
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Who decides how much coaching is too much? I don't think our daughter is being overcoached! We can't afford a tutor, so that's why we have been giving her a weekly half hour familiarisation session since January. More recently we have started giving her practice papers so she can build her speed up, as she sits her 11+ in the first week of October. She is a bright child and would like to go to Grammar School, so we're giving her the best chance that we can. It's up to each family what they decide to do with regards the 11+, so why should 'playground mums' discuss it anyway?!

This is a fantastic forum and I have found the advice on here absolutely priceless. Thanks once again Patricia.

nif229

Post by Guest »

Dear nif229
You are doing a fantastic job and know what's best for your daughter.
Best of luck
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Thanks Guest I appreciate your post.

Nif229