Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:37 pm 

Should you wish to DIY...

If your area uses 2 VR tests all 21 types will be covered over the 2 tests.

If your area only uses 1 VR test, only 12 or 13 of the 21 will appear, which 12 or 13 will vary each year therefore you need to practice all 21 types.

Publishers which currently cover the 21 types include:
AFN [slightly easier]
IPS,
The Tutors [ middle range difficulty]
Learning Lab
Susan Daughtrey /Bright Sparks[very close the correct level of difficulty, use packs of 4 tests, NOT her books 1-7],
Walsh [quite hard in some areas]
GL Assessment packs 1 and 2

GL Assessment, Pack 1 only contain 15 types of questions, it is therefore necessary to practice HIKNOS while completing these tests. [HIKNOS are 6 types as identified by IPS]

Stage 1 - Starting Out

Over a short period of time, teach all 21 types by using IPS Method and Technique book in conjunction with IPS starter series

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... upils.html

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... ormat.html

Lesson 1

Teach types E F O R

:: Parent and child read together how to approach Type E from the M and T book.
:: Complete together Questions 1- 6 from the Starter Series
:: Child to complete Questions 7 – 12 alone.

Repeat for Types F O R

Lesson 2

Teach Types A J Q as above
Start looking at Zs [complete these together, in order to get used to the variations]

Lesson 3

B M D H S as above

Lesson 4

U L C N as above [teach the codes in order as written]

Lesson 5

G I P K as above [teach maths in order as written]

Stage 2 - Mini Tests

Once Lessons 1 – 5 have been completed, start using IPS 50 question Tests in conjunction with IPS Additional Questions and the Method and Technique book.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... ormat.html

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... tions.html

Lessons 6 – 15 complete 2 lessons a week

Lesson 6

:: Test 1, rule a line after Question 24, call this test 1A

:: Using Additional Questions [and M and T book if necessary] remind child how to approach Types A B P G. Child to complete Questions 1 – 4

:: Child completes Test 1A alone and timed. Write helpful hints next to each section in red or green eg. next to Type A write "one letter from answer sheet will go for all 4 words." Keep writing hints until all IPS tests have been completed.

The actual times do not matter but it gets the child used to working quickly.

Lesson 7

:: Remind child how to approach D R E O

:: Child completes Questions 1 – 4 from additional questions

:: Child completes the rest of test questions 25 to 50 [minus the Zs] Test 1B

:: Always do the Zs together to discuss how to approach.

Lesson 8

Types J F I U – Additional Questions
Test 2A Q 1 – 24

Lesson 9

Types H C M N
Test 2B Q 25 - 50
Zs complete together

Lesson 10

Types A B P I
Test 3A Q1 – 24

Lesson 11

Types Q R L S
Test 3B Q 25 – 50
Zs complete together

Lesson 12

Types J F E U
Test 4A Q1 – 24

Lesson 13

Types K C G D
Test 4B
Zs complete together

Lesson 14

Types A E I L
Test 5A

Lesson 15

Test 5B
Zs complete together

Stage 3 - 50 Question Tests

Complete Tests 6 – 10 over a period of 5 weeks

Stage 4 – 80 Question Tests

The Tutors
Bright Sparks [Susan Daughtrey]
GL Assessment pack 1 or 2

The Tutors, 12 tests, 80 questions, 50 minutes - E papers [a good middle range of full tests]

Bright Sparks /Susan Daughtrey [packs of 4 tests only], 80 questions 50 minutes..2 packs each pack contains 4 tests [ nearer to the standard of the real tests]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... ack-1.html

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... ack-2.html

GL assessment [pack 1] 4 tests, 85 questions 50 minutes [remember to practice HIKNOS from IPS when completing these tests, also need to cross off the last 5 questions, as the real test only has 80 not 85] A tad easier than the real tests and practiced tests found in school, but good to practice in the same format as the real tests.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... ack-1.html

Between stages 1-4 you could [but do not necessarily have to] use the 2 CDs produced by THE TUTORS, Vol.1 contains 50 questions of each type. Vol.2 contains 12 tests. The real test is not computer based, therefore pen and paper would always be the preferred option. In addition you need a separate paper for working out various questions. However some children like these CDs as a filler in to relieve the 'boredom' of pen and paper.

During Stage 3 and 4 you can have sessions each week on various question types using the rest of the IPS additional questions together with publications such as AFN, Madeleine Guyon, Walsh. GL Assessment pack 2 could be used for session time.

However please note that Walsh use brackets in types I AND G which of course are not used by GL assessment. I tend to cross these off as I do not want to confuse the children.

Do not start until the New Year, between now and then [and for the rest of year 5] ensure your child reads out aloud to you at least 3 times a week, making note of all unknown vocabulary. Vocabulary is without a doubt the biggest problem area. Codes and Maths can be rote learnt. Seeing words out of context will always throw children.

See the following link, for my list of words with an explanation of how to use flash cards as an aid. In addition there is my list of compound words [with games]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/assets ... tricia.pdf

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/assets ... tricia.pdf

There are 4 types of maths questions, they are not rocket science, BUT require an ability to quickly recall the 4 maths operations i.e. adding, subtraction, multiplying and dividing. The quicker the child can recall, the more time can be spent on codes [easy marks, but time consuming] Basically if you ask for 8 x 7 you want the answer 56, now not in 10 seconds time, once they know their times tables inside out and back to front [ up to 12 x] then division becomes easy. Adding and subtraction should be practiced using numbers under 150...try making up games, giving quick fire questions in the car, out for walks etc.

This forum is a wealth of information, look around, take note and get teaching! Any problems just ask, there is always someone willing to help.

Patricia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:13 pm 

Patricia, thank you SO much for posting this :D My DD2 sits the Glos. 11+ in October and I was just about to start work with her, but with no clear plan of action in mind. I followed all your advice last time with DD1 who got her first choice grammar school and will definitely follow your instructions.

It's very generous of you to share your advice on here, and it's very much appreciated.

Thank you again

Pixiequeen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:19 pm 

Thank you, Patricia. Your advise and suggestions have been of immense help to us.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:42 pm 

This is so useful thank you! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:10 pm 

Many thanks for that,
As a newbie starting out , I actually feel saturated with info !

Can I ask, when you get to the 80 questions stage, there are potentially 24 tests I can buy there - what should she be doing weekly ? one , two ?
And as for time scale, where are the 'gates' we should be passing through in 2013, i.e moving from section to section ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:26 am 

Hi Rob d2

I used 1 test a week, your regime will be dependent on the timing of your real test and the time you are prepared to put in. My lessons were spread over 9 months, some may wish to take it more leisurely others cram it in over a few months.

Firstly ensure your area is using GL Assessment as the test provider as so many are moving over to CEM testing.

Patricia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:51 pm 

Thanks Patricia,
We are attempting gloucs, so I think we are ok with GL for another year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:00 am 

Could somesome pls tell me which IPS book are required for Essex csse exam 2013 for my ds ?? Am a bit confused looking at the list of IPS books on this thread .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:23 pm 

Patricia, could I ask for your advice? My unenthusiastic son is practicing for the Glouc exam this Oct. We whizzed through IPS tests and additional questions and did really well so, looking at your list (and wanting to use paper not computers) I bought Susan Daughtrey tests 1-4 for him. They don't seem that much harder (and he loves the 'z' types) but now he just gives up after a few test questions saying he can't do any. I'm sure he can (and if I work through each question with him he gets it eventually) but could you tell me what other books to practice with instead. I'm going to get the GL assessment ones but I'm aware they don't cover all 15 types so they're not ideal either. And The Tutors all seems to be downloads rather than books. There's no point going any easier than IPS as they weren't a struggle for him. If he keeps giving up and moaning I'm liable to give up too and that would be a massive shame. We both need a bit boost of enthusiasm and confidence and I'm not sure what books to use to get that. Can you help at all?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:26 pm 

Hi Littlebaker

Apologies for not replying earlier, not been too well and have been working on an Easter revision course for my students.

GL pack 2 does include HIKNOS

Another possibility is the Leaning Lab Series by Madeline Guyon, even the starter series are generally harder than IPS in particular the vocabulary.

Walsh are too hard to give as tests, but very good to dip into.

Is there a particular reason you do not wish to download the papers by The Tutors?

Perhaps give up doing tests for a while and just complete a variety of sections within a test. In addition you could copy the test and try to have races with him, of course allow him to win on the odd occasion :wink:

Good Luck

Patricia