synonyms

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

synonyms

Post by fatbananas »

How have people's DC's learned synonyms. We came across two last night: curb/ kerb and course/ coarse and they stumped DS about which was the right spelling/ meaning.

Any help tackling this one really appreciated!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: synonyms

Post by DIY Mum »

Some of mine enjoyed 'Synonym Toast' and 'Free-rice'. One of mine did it solely by rote learning :roll: . But that didn't work for dd2 especially.

With her it had to be picture associations. So for the word, 'quaint',- she'd imagine someone painting a picture using a quill. That was her 'picture association'. Then for synonyms, she'd describe that picture association e.g. old fashioned, queer, peculiar, odd, weird, curious ...IYSWIM
Y

Post by Y »

Actually, these are homophones - words which sound alike, but have different meanings. (Some people call them homonyms). Try googling those two terms.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

You may find these useful, especially the 1st link :D

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=30590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Of course they're homonyms; somewhere in my tired old brain, I knew that! :oops: :roll:

Thanks Sonasona; they are terrific websites!

I think this one is a homograph: spring/ spring, as in coiled metal object, commonly used in mattresses and the season. Anyone know when spring is coming? I am cold and fed-up!!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.