AE publications word and vocabulary books

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KhadijahA-R

AE publications word and vocabulary books

Post by KhadijahA-R »

Hi, just wondered if anyone had used these, and how did you find them?
I have heard book 1 is more for younger readers and that books 9 - 12 might be better for my yr 5 ds.
I can't find any reviews anywhere.
TIA
pixiequeen

Re: AE publications word and vocabulary books

Post by pixiequeen »

Hi, yes, we used these with our DD1 and are now using them with DD2. I think they're very good. You are right that book 1 is for younger children. We started DD2 on book 7 last year (year 4) and she is currently doing book 9. The language is sometimes old fashioned, but a lot of the vocabulary in verbal reasoning does seem to be old fashioned. I would think they would be great for improving comprehension as well as you have to fit the words into sentences and crosswords, and sometimes the sentences are peculiar english 'figures of speech' that modern children haven't come across yet.

HTH

Pixiequeen
KhadijahA-R

Post by KhadijahA-R »

pixiequeen wrote:Hi, yes, we used these with our DD1 and are now using them with DD2. I think they're very good. You are right that book 1 is for younger children. We started DD2 on book 7 last year (year 4) and she is currently doing book 9. The language is sometimes old fashioned, but a lot of the vocabulary in verbal reasoning does seem to be old fashioned. I would think they would be great for improving comprehension as well as you have to fit the words into sentences and crosswords, and sometimes the sentences are peculiar english 'figures of speech' that modern children haven't come across yet.

HTH

Pixiequeen
Thanks Pixiequeen, that was very helpful :D :D
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Hi, I bought the complete set 1-12 and they are hardly used, never written in or creased, in fact immaculate condition.

Pm if you are interested in the whole lot
drummer

Post by drummer »

I can't stand them. While the basic concept is good I do not think they are well written(at all) . The word definitions are often much more obscure and difficult than the word being defined.
henna025

Post by henna025 »

We have just started with book 9 for my year 5 DD and we found it quite intersting. We do 2 pages every day and each day there are a couple of new words my DD learn. what i did was that i saw all these books in bookshop and showed them to my DD as well and book 9 had few new words for her so i took it as a starting point.
positivemum

Post by positivemum »

I quite like these books. I've started them with my yr4 daughter and there are some words in them she'd not come across in her regular reading. They are a good way to expand the vocabulary and I'd definitely recommend them.
MSC

Post by MSC »

I have been using them since Y3 ( I started at Book 6 - my child is Sats high Level 4 at year 3) and now in Y4 and my child seems to enjoy it. . Here's a possible fun tip - when I started playing Scrabble with my child, I used the books (especially the crossword part) as an "extension" to the scrabble games we play ,in a way, hence my child see the relevance / connection and enjoys it more.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now