My Child's Verbal Reasoning Test Results

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

Thanks, Sally-Anne

Reading your reply and information in this website, I realized that it may be too late for us to prepare my child for grammar school scholarship though I am confident my child will comfortably pass the entry exam. But scholarship holder must be the top performer. Others already started in preparation a year ago. We are not prepared. My child 9 years old, currently in year 4 accelerating to Year 6 (skipping year 5) in September will compete with all the prepared very able children and 1 year older as well. Maybe not realistic.

Post by Guest »

Reading your reply and information in this website, I realized that it may be too late for us to prepare my child for grammar school scholarship though I am confident my child will comfortably pass the entry exam. But scholarship holder must be the top performer
I have heard of scholarships for private education but not for grammar. Surely you are just interested in a place at grammar and if your child is that clever it doesn't sound like you will have a problem
JJ Parent

Post by JJ Parent »

sorry, I am talk about private schools.
JJ Parent

Post by JJ Parent »

As I mentioned at the beginning that I am new to the private school, grammar school, entry exam (first time heard of verbal reasoning test). If I make silly mistakes, please do correct me.

As a working family, we never thought private school . My older kid doing medicine in KCL went through state school. One of our family friends recently suggested that our younger one may go private school with scholarship. Maybe it is already too late.
katel

Post by katel »

I'm a bit puzzled - if you live in an 11+ area and are thinking about grammar schools then you need to find out exactly what the exam consists of in your LEA - they vary considerably. If you're talking about private schools, the scholarship exams differ from school to school and you'd probably be better contacting your chosen school to find out exactly what they require.

Interested in your child skipping a year - I have never heard of this happening in a state school - are you in private education already?

Post by Guest »

Thanks katel,

I ringed a few local private schools. One requires verbal reasoning, math and English, the rest only require math and English

My kid is in a state school. Examed in May 2007 for KS2 year 4, too easy.
The school set another KS2 exams for year 6 pupils (three subjects in one week). The school informed us a week before this takes place. All the three subjects, Math, English, Science 5A top of the year 6. Academically, my kid is ready for secondary in September. But skipping 2 years may be too shocking emotionally. It was decided my kid moves to year 6 in September.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

katel wrote:I'm a bit puzzled - if you live in an 11+ area and are thinking about grammar schools then you need to find out exactly what the exam consists of in your LEA - they vary considerably. If you're talking about private schools, the scholarship exams differ from school to school and you'd probably be better contacting your chosen school to find out exactly what they require.

Interested in your child skipping a year - I have never heard of this happening in a state school - are you in private education already?
If I am reading the various posts from different "Guests" right, Guest is in Hampshire, which isn't an 11+ area. However, some of the private schools there do call themselves grammar schools, just to confuse things!

I would take a look at a couple of private schools and find out what the exams consist of. If your child is bright enough to have been put up a year, then I would say that they should take a shot at a scholarship, regardless of time. Do check how much the scholarship or burasry is likely to be for though - there aren't a lot of full-fee scholarships available, and they would be means-tested.

Katel - children do, very occasionally, get put up a year in the state system. The child must be able to cope both academically and socially with the move though, and relatively few children qualify on both counts. The social issue is usually the stumbling block - a child may be very bright, but isn't sufficiently mature to cope with the older peer group.

Sally-Anne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

BTW JJparent, why don't you register on the Forum? It makes it easier to work out who is posting!

Register button is at the bottom of the page - no nasty spam or anything, I promise.

Sally-Anne
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

katel wrote: you'd probably be better contacting your chosen school to find out exactly what they require.
Quite important for verbal reasoning. You should try and decide the schools and find out the exact format as soon as you can. The question to ask for is whether the board is NFER, or other (BOND etc.), and whether they are multichoice or standard.
If the schools don't tell you, come back here, and ask if anyone knows the format for the specific school.

Good luck