What is a good result?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
henri

What is a good result?

Post by henri »

I have posted this query elsewhere by mistake! However, my son did a Nfer cornflower blue multiple choice paper yesterday. This was purely out of curiosity as he has a friend preparing for grammar school entry. He achieved 73 per cent correct answers within the time limit - I have no idea if this is anywhere near what he needs to achieve if he were to sit an entrance exam, or if this is a good first result? Can anyone advise?

(My son didn't complete the paper but managed to get all but 5 of the questions answered correct)
henri

Post by henri »

:? Can't believe this has now been viewed 43 times and sadly no one can help. It seems a totally "best kept secret" re what to aim for as a good result consistently! Can anyone help as I don't know what to do now, and forms have to be back to LEA soon!
EJS123

Don't know Henri!

Post by EJS123 »

Hi Henri,

Firstly where are you? I only know a bit about the Bucks 11+, so if you're elsewhere, this may not be valid, but I'd say if he got that sort of mark on his first attempt, that's pretty damn good, and if he were mine, I'd certainly be entering for the exam (when is it where you are?)!

My daughter has had 6 months of coaching (from me) for her 11+, and on her first attempts she was getting 50 - 60% right, and not completing the paper. 6 months down the line, she is getting 95 - 100%, well inside the time limit, so I'd say "go for it" with your son!!!!

Don't put too much pressure on him (depending when the exam is), try and make it as enjoyable as possible, & remember there's nothing wrong with a bit of bribery if you know of something that will motivate him!!!

Liz
henri

Post by henri »

Hi thanks, different up here NE to Bucks, exam not til Nov, still unsure what to do, travelling a problem and buses useless. Trying to get more info from headmasters of number of schools at mo to help re "choices"

Post by Guest »

My daughter completed her first one without answering about 10 to 15 questions and got 72% last week.
I'm still a bit concerned though

I'm in Wirral and no-one seems to know really what is a "good" mark
Fairy

Verbal reasoning

Post by Fairy »

As a general guideline, if your child is achieving over 70% on the NFER Verbal Reasoning papers, then this should indicate the ability to pass the 11+.

Speed increases with familiarity and also knowledge of how to use the answer sheets to help (with the multiple choice papers). Encourage your child to answer the questions they are good at first, although some children prefer to just work their way through the paper. Try to give more practice on the types of questions that your child finds difficult, there are some very good download papers on this site. Practice these questions in short bursts at first (allowing 30 seconds per question) and then let your child have a go at another complete paper. With the alphabet and code type questions, it is possible to use the answer sheet to considerably shorten the amount of time taken to answer them.

Try to make the practice as enjoyable and stress-free as possible - in my experience the children and their peers put enough pressure upon themselves. Finally, you and your teachers know best what your child is capable of and I am a great advocate of being high up in a comprehensive/high school rather than struggling in a grammar school.

Good luck - both to your child in their exams and to yourself in making your choice of school.

Post by Guest »

Thank you very much

Actually the papers she has been given at school do not have a multiple choice answer sheet with them. She just has to answer the questions which I thought would be a bit harder really
Fairy

Multiple choice -v- Standard papers

Post by Fairy »

Hi

It is certainly true that the papers are harder if a multiple choice answer sheet is not used. With the codes, for example, on a standard paper the child has to work out the full code; with the multiple choice papers, it is often possible to only have to work out two or three letters of the code. With the alphabet type also, it is sometimes possible to work out the multiple choice answer with just one letter.

As these are the more complicated questions, I would advise you to give your child plenty of practice on these types, but also it is sensible to leave these till last in a test as they can slow down your child's pace. If they are familiar with the types of question, they can recognise these and know to leave them till last, thereby not slowing their progress in other types of questions.

With the questions where it is necessary to find ONE letter to complete four words (two ending and two beginning with this letter), please emphasise to your child to check all four words. Often the children check the first two and 'forget' about the other two.

Also encourage your child to 'work out' the answers by writing on the paper as much as necessary; some children seem to think that they are not allowed to write on the paper. Although mental maths is an essential discipline, it seems to be leading to children thinking that they have to work out everything in their head!

Good luck!

Post by Guest »

Cheers fairy (btw my daughter would love your name; she has a large collection of fairies! :lol: )
To her credit my daughter automatically did the questions she found easier then went to the other ones.

I thought the papers she has been doing were harder. As i explained to her, she can at least check if her answer is on the answer sheet, and there is always a 25% chance of getting it right!

Spoke to her head teacher earlier and he thinks she should have no problem. But then teachers are not always right!

Post by Guest »

Woo yay! :D
The second paper my daughter did on Thursday night, she answered all but 3 questions in the time, and got 92 out of 100!! :D :D :D So only 5 questions wrong out of all she answered!

That paper was slightly easier than the one she had before though.
That is because we were on holiday on the 23rd when that paper was given out. As it was the first paper it was slightly easier. She did the 2nd paper before the first.
She did another one Friday night and said she thought it was very hard. She didnt finish it. There were 8 questions left unanswered, so we shall just have to see. Fingers crossed
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now