Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hsinam

TYPE 6: Missing Word

Post by hsinam »

Hi,

My dc is facing problems with TYPE 6: Missing Word

Example: The children GATED in the hall.

Answer: HER (gatHERed)

Is there any list/technique dc can practice?
Sally-Anne

Re: TYPE 6: Missing Word

Post by Sally-Anne »

Before we can help you, you need to tell us if this is Standard format or Multiple Choice.
hsinam

Post by hsinam »

Standard format
mystery

Post by mystery »

Will it be standard format in the real test?
hsinam

Post by hsinam »

Yes, AFAIK it will be standard format in the actual Test as well.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I believe the OP is looking at Kendrick, which is indeed standard format.
These ones need good vocab, but the technique my DD used if she couldn't see it straight away was to split the word so for your example

G ated
Ga ted
Gat ed
Gate d

To see if that helped inspire her. She didn't waste time on them if she couldn't see it. She would go back to them later and often she could see it second time round.
It was one of her least favourite types, but if you practise enough example they do start to see them better.
If I remember correctly I'm not sure this type came up last year, DD can't remember. Of course that could mean it will this year.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

This search string pulls up posts by Patricia on the subject (sorry that a few of them refer to other question types, but I can't think of a better search term): http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Standard format is tough for these questions, but there are still clues:

:: Think!! That is the first rule for both M/C and Standard format. Look at the sentence and think of words that you might fill the sentence with. The children congregated in the hall ... The children filed into the hall ... The children filled the hall ...The children got together in the hall ... The children gatHERed in the hall.

:: Recognising letters that simply cannot go together: KLEDGE. K & L appear together very rarely in the English language, so there is every chance that the missing word appears between them. Write that out K - - - L E D G E ...

:: Knowing common word endings: -ed, -able, -ing, may help to isolate places where the missing word is unlikely to go. Bear in mind that some might be a red herring though.

:: Never forget that the missing word could also go at the start or at the end of the letters shown. Always worth a quick try!

:: "If in doubt, write it out." Write the given letters in lower case and the missing word in upper case: kNOWledge
hsinam

Post by hsinam »

Thanks Tinkers and Sally-Anne for the helpful tips.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now