"Z" Type questions - how many marks?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WorriedMum

"Z" Type questions - how many marks?

Post by WorriedMum »

Morning all.
I was wondering if anyone could clarify something for me please?
I believe there is a Z type question on every VR paper.
As these are such long questions, do they carry more marks than the short questions?
If they only carry one mark surely it is better to tell my child to skip this question, circle the question number and IF he has time left at the end to go back to it?
This way he has the opportunity of doing several shorter type questions in the same time and the chance of gaining more marks.
I was told it is unlikely that most children manage to finish the VR paper in the allocated time anyway, so perhaps this is the best method.
However, if the Z questions carry more than one mark, this blows my theory out of the window!
Would appreciate your thoughts please.
Many thanks. :)

PS I would never tell him to skip any other sections, just this one type of question.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Worried Mum

Yes, most tutors do tell the children to circle these questions and leave them to the end. They are only worth one mark, and take most children 1-2 minutes to solve.

Most children do manage to finish the NFER VR papers in the time allowed, although the strategy of leaving Type Z until last is a big help in doing so.

If a child genuinely is struggling to answer another question, they should also circle it and move on, but as you rightly say, it isn't something to encourage too often, as they get confused and lose track.

Sally-Anne
thehorder

Post by thehorder »

G'Morning, My daughter will be taking the Kent test, please tell me what is the Z type question and does this apply to her test. If so where do you find this information. Thanks.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

Z type questions refer to the IPS categorisation of questions.

You can view a sample of Z type questions on The Tutors Verbal Reasoning CD1 Demo, accessed on the front page of the site.

The Tutors categorise their questions differently to IPS, you will find them under Question Type 15 Reading Information.

Regards

Mike
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

It is one of the 15 types included in the NFER-Nelson practice tests.

see

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/vr-que ... region.php
WorriedMum

Post by WorriedMum »

Thank you for your replies! :)