Vocabulary builder app - any thoughts

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Vocabulary builder app - any thoughts

Post by mystery »

I bought the one off this website. Dd has done 50 questions - synonyms. She got only just over half right. Bit scary. Anyone know how the word list within it has been compiled and if it is possible to download the list?
leanmeamum

Re: Vocabulary builder app - any thoughts

Post by leanmeamum »

use it as a teaching tool - go through all the words within each question and make a list of the ones she finds particularly hard.

I have it on my laptop and my version has only the correct answers marked. Don't know if the app has explanations for the words. I advise all parents to sit with their child when using it and go over the other words in the answer lists as well. Don't know if the list is downloadable or printable - hopefully someone from the site might be able to help on that.

50% is a good score as some of the words are tricky and with repeated practise she will remember lots of them.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks for that. I need to look at the app functions to see how it all works. Yes I will use it as a teaching exercise. I was hoping the app might do a bit more of that in itself but never mind.

In a way free rice is better in this respect but I am not sure with free rice on what basis the word lists are compiled and selected.

Vocabulary expansion just seems so hit and miss an idea. Still, I suppose a bigger vocabulary is no bad thing even if it does not help you pass.
themadcatlady

Post by themadcatlady »

I have recently downloaded the apps but haven't yet used them, so this is helpful.

I had hoped to be able to let him "play" with the app rather than me sitting with him to do it and just look at the scores with him (lazy I know!). I'm just aware that I can hover over him a lot and possibly put him off, or be asked to help as I'm there...!
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Removed my comments :)
Last edited by parent2013 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

My DD used the app and it really helped her with her vocab The NVR one is great too. I put them on my ipad and she would do them in the car on the way to places - not a minute wasted :x