Missing Word i.e. word is QUAY missing bit LIT (QUALITY)

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

aha!!

that makes more sense! :lol:

I agree about the multiple choice and substitution. Another reason to use teh answer paper first rather than work out and then mark the paper.

(something I am struggling to get my pupil to do!)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi THOM

Go to the free download section of the site, on the front page. Scroll down to The Tutors Verbal Reasoning Method & Technique Course.

Go to the index and click on Question Type 6 Missing Word.

There is a guide to completing these question in multiple-choice format.

Then link to The Tutors VR CD1 Demo and complete the five questions for Type 6 Missing Word.

That is all the free stuff.

Regards

Mike
WorriedMum

Post by WorriedMum »

My son has to sit the standard format not the mulit-choice, so any tips on this question type would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Worried Mum

The first part of the method & technique course would apply to these questions.

He was ALS well behaved, as an example

How many words can he think of quickly that will complete the sentence so that it makes sense?

The answer for the above is WAY

He was ALWAYS well behaved.

The multiple-choice questions are easier to answer, the standard format questions requires an extended vocabulary.

Regards

Mike
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear THOM

My tutored children find this one quite difficult, if your spelling isn't up to scratch, can impose even more problems.

Example: Today we visited the caal.

First strategy: Sentence should be a clue to the 'whole' word, although in this instance not much of a clue even thought its an NFER question!

Clue, somewhere we might visit.

Second strategy: Space the letters out with enough room to fit the 3 letter words given on the answer sheet.....

C --- A --- A --- L

Then start trying the words in each of the spaces.....the answer is pit the child would try pit

pitC---A---A---L

CpitA--- A --- L

C--- Apit --- A--- L found the word capital!!!

This involves speed writing, tell all my students, for once they DO NOT have to write neatly, as long as they can read it, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

Some children only need to space out the letters and then visualise the word in between the letters others need to write it down.

A good knowledge of spelling and letter combinations is always a help in these questions, going back to my original example...

C A A L

You wouldn't try PIT next to the C because you cannot have a word with the letters TC next to each other.

You wouldn't try PIT between C and A because you cannot have a word with the letters CP next to each other.

And so on...

Hope this helps, Only 4 weeks to go...

Patricia
Tearing Hair Out Mum

Missing out word

Post by Tearing Hair Out Mum »

Dear Patricia and Mike,

Many thanks for the advice, I had actually tried what Patricia suggested after marking test with him and I think it may have sunk in. Problem is he knows the answer but does not like these ones. As you say speed reading is the key and you have one of five choices.

Anyway on with the work. We have a little bit longer than 4 weeks for us as we are in Berks.

Good Luck to all
T.H.O.M.
Tearing Hair Out Mum
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I thought I would add my two-penny-worth...

Fortunately daughter is pretty good at these, but she gave up on CAS-SET-TE. She is of the CD generation and didn't know what a cassette was!
worrier

anachronisms

Post by worrier »

Fortunately daughter is pretty good at these, but she gave up on CAS-SET-TE. She is of the CD generation and didn't know what a cassette was!
I have been worried about this sort of thing. My daughter got stuck on a synonyms question (not NFER), answer was "expensive and dear". I remember my mum using "dear" in that context but not anyone of my generation let alone a 10yr old. I'd regard that use of dear as an anachronism. We've come across other examples.

Does anyone know how old the NFER bank of questions is and is it checked/updated regularly? Not that the answer will stop me worrying!
mw

Post by mw »

I have just checked my newest NFER VR practice papers for my 10 year old and they look identical to the practice papers my 19 year old used 9 years. Whether they update the language used in the actual test I don't know.

This particular section does confuse boys mainly. I had a student last year who had 15 minutes spare at the end of his VR paper and still couldn't find more than 2 out of the 7 missing 3 letter words. The good news is he still gained entry to Handsworth Grammar
jellywobble

Missing word - standard version

Post by jellywobble »

Reading through this thread makes me think how much easier it must be with multiple choice vs the standard version that we are doing.

One of the practice NFER papers has the question:
"She hid it in the FS of her coat."
Now if there were 5 suggestions, I'm sure that daughter could have spotted it, but picking the answer out of her head couldn't be done. She got to cufFS, but rightly didn't think CUF was a word.

My question is, will the actual test contain similar questions with such antiquainted phrases, or is this sample test just showing its age.
(I doubt many ten year old have ever seen a coat that could have "folds" let alone worn one)

Sorry for the grumble - but what is the best way to "free-think" the answers to this type?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now