Rules for VR tests

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest55

Was that for late transfer or 11 plus [not that it should make any difference] My late transfer from last year had no problem with his watch.

Perhaps its the digital/calculator/beeping type watches that are a problem.

I have certainly not heard of a state school taking watches away.

Patricia
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It was 12+ - watches were just ordinary ones -
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest55

Well that's very strange, different rules for different settings. My student had no problem with his watch.

Have you heard of a state school confiscating them, I certainly have not.

Patricia
Y

Post by Y »

With regard to timing information supplied to candidates during the 11+ exam, the requirements for invigilators in Bucks at least are quite clear. I have the 2007 '11+ Transfer to Secondary School Headteachers' manual' in front of me, and Appendix 3 is the 'Protocol for School Testing'. I presume that this is actually last years, and that the current one would be for 2008, but I can't find it. The link for this one is http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/docum ... 1_plus.pdf . (No doubt similar documents exist for other counties.)

Invigilators are required to follow a script, giving the children information about how the exam will be run: for example, when it will start, how long they will have, how to mark the answer sheets, and so on. Invigilators are told 'After 25 minutes say: You have had 25 minutes, you have 25 minutes left....After 45 minutes say: You have 5 minutes left....After 50 minutes say: Stop now please and put your pencils down'. The script is lifted directly from the nfer Verbal Reasoning Practice Tests Instruction Manual, which (in Bucks) is sent home with the children when they have completed the familiarisation and practice tests.

It may seem petty, but it is critical to a fair examination that all candidates have as similar experiences as possible. There is no leeway for invigilators to make up their own rules about timings and announcements of them. My own child was severely panicked in a practice paper by her teacher's decision to say 'And go', rather than follow the required script, which has a whole paragraph to read, leading up to the final instructions 'Turn over. Begin' Another parent reported that her daughter said 'I didn't even realise we had started'.

Parents may want to check with their children how the 11+ practice tests are being administered. The practice tests should reflect the 'real thing' and teachers should not be 'making it up as they go along'.

Y
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Y

The link is as follows.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/docum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... r_2008.pdf

Unfortunately you have misread the document it says...

"Write down the exact starting time on a test record sheet and the time at which YOU PLAN to give interim timings."

The times given is an example which some schools follow others do not, its down to the school to decide/plan. They write their own times on the sheet. Most give 25 minute warning, then it varies with 10,5,2.

I agree with you that it should be same across the board, but as it is not and some children will not be able to see a clock, it is a good idea to wear a watch.

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:You may be interested to know that pupils had watches taken from them when the test was sat at County Hall ...
Thieves at County Hall! :shock:

(Sorry - it was the first thing that occurred to me on reading your post, Guest55! :lol: )

Sally-Anne
Y

Post by Y »

patricia wrote:Dear Y

The link is as follows.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/docum ... r_2008.pdf

Unfortunately you have misread the document it says...

"Write down the exact starting time on a test record sheet and the time at which YOU PLAN to give interim timings."

The times given is an example which some schools follow others do not, its down to the school to decide/plan. They write their own times on the sheet.
Most give 25 minute warning, then it varies with 10,5,2.

I actually agree with you that it should be same across the board, but as it is not and some children will not be able to see a clock, its a good idea to wear a watch.

Patricia
Hi Patricia

Thanks for the link. Legalistically, you have a point - this might be the difference between being told that something 'should' be the case, and that something 'must' be the case. However, the document quite clearly states:

'After 25 minutes say:
You have had 25 minutes, you have 25 minutes left
After 45 minutes say:
You have 5 minutes left
After 50 minutes say:
Stop now please and put your pencils down.'

This does not suggest to me that there is any real leeway. You might also interpret "Write down the exact starting time on a test record sheet and the time at which YOU PLAN to give interim timings." as meaning - make sure you work out and write down the 25 minute and 45 minute timings so that you get them right. Some schools (how many, I wonder, since children don't report these things) are far too cavalier in how they administer the 11+.

Y
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Patricia

Tell the children that counting on their fingers is okay in the test.

Regards

Mike
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Y

I understand your comments however I can assure that interim times vary between schools. The good thing is that each school does tend to keep to the same timings within their school. So, once the child has sat Test A they know the timings. Its always half time [25 mins] its the last time check that varies either 10, 5 or 2.[ sometimes 10 an 2, or 5 and 2] This is confirmed by my children year after year.

My main reason for watches is that my children are very much aware of the sort of times they should be using for each type of question. In addition if a clock is not on show they can keep an eye on the time left instead of getting a shock at 5 minutes left.

Dear Mike

Absolutely if they want to use the fingers and toes, I don't care as long as the answer is correct.

Patricia
CherryPie

Post by CherryPie »

What are the Z type questions? Could someone show me an example please? :D