Codes

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fatbananas

Codes

Post by fatbananas »

Could someone help me with this question, PLEASE! I want to give this to DS this evening, but I can't figure it out.

The code for ABACUS is ZZXYPM. What is the word for ZAZAYY?

The answer is ACCEDE.

But WHY?! :D
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
southbucks3

Re: Codes

Post by southbucks3 »

The numerical position of the letter in the word allocates the moves backward/forward needed to find the code letter from the alphabet. In this case backwards is easiest.

Abacus
Zzxy......etc

So:
A - 1=z
B - 2=z
A - 3=x.
C - 4=y
mystery

Post by mystery »

Why on earth this is verbal reasoning I don't know, but this is the answer:

A - 1 = Z

B - 2 = Z

A - 3 = X

C - 4 = Y

U - 5 = P

S - 6 = M

So to decode you do it the other way round - for each letter in the code you move forwards in the alphabet - 1 letter for the first letter, 2 letters for the second letter etc

Hope that made sense.

No way I would fathom that out for the first time in 30 seconds in an exam though. Poor children.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I feel such a clot. I forgot you had to do the opposite from the code to the word. And I should be pleased that DS saw it; but I feel very stupid. :oops:

This was a 15 mins test though and he did it in 25ish. :( He got 85% though :D (I feel VERY up and down with these tests; can you tell?!) He is tired. I'm hoping that's why and he'll speed up on the day ...

Thanks SB3 and Mystery. :)
Y

Post by Y »

Does this help?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... des+bottom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you Y! I have printed all 11 pages of it and will study it for tips! :)
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

fatbananas wrote:I feel such a clot. I forgot you had to do the opposite from the code to the word. And I should be pleased that DS saw it; but I feel very stupid. :oops:

This was a 15 mins test though and he did it in 25ish. :( He got 85% though :D (I feel VERY up and down with these tests; can you tell?!) He is tired. I'm hoping that's why and he'll speed up on the day ...

Thanks SB3 and Mystery. :)
FB, I wouldn't worry much about time. With practice they will pick up time and when they do it in exam hall they are more focussed as opposed to doing it at home so they will gain on time. I think accuracy should be the preference now which your DS is achieving. IMO, 85% is good score. Your boy deserves a biscuit/playstation time( whatever he likes).

ps. I was thinking of putting together a marks table listing: month, publication and percentage score. Just to see how the average score is progressing over time.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This was my DDs least favourite type of question. She could do them but they took absolutely ages.

You can only speed up to a certain extent. We decided hat the best thing would be to leave them until the end and do questions that took less time first. She practised hem a bit to improve speed and accuracy. The important thing to know is they tend to be guaranteed marks as long as they see the pattern and with practise they should.

Then the other thing DD decided to do was not to necessarily do them in the order given. (Forgive me if I explain this badly, it's been a while)
Firstly she tackled all the codes that went one way, then all he ones that went the other, so the brain isn't trying to flip from one to the other. This made a big difference.

Luck on the day, they didn't come up. :D
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Those are all useful tactics, Tinkers. Thank you :D