verbal reasoning test 2nd paper difficulty? to patrica

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
masterlee

verbal reasoning test 2nd paper difficulty? to patrica

Post by masterlee »

Dear patrica,
My daughter will sit the 11+ exam in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Some one said first paper more straightforward, 2nd paper more searching in nature. From your experience, 2nd paper more difficult in Vocabulary or some other types of questions? Looking forward to any reply.

All the best.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Masterlee

I can only comment on Bucks in that BOTH our tests are of the same difficulty. Often children will report one was easier than the other. That can easily be explained by the fact children prefer certain types. You only have to look at the Bucks section to see that the first test has already had a mixed review from the children.

Where has your information come from? Is it a reliable source? Have you rang the school/council. Who administers the test?

Patricia
MASTERLEE

Post by MASTERLEE »

Dear patrica,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PROMPT REPLY. I read the Gloucesteshire forum and got this news from the post of a tutor Mr. Orson." Pates Grammar School". Nfer will administer the test. My daughter practised the paper of Nfer, APN, Bright sparkle, she tried 8 papers, she got 90-95% right. She made mistakes on vocabulary, I asked her to remember all your words list and Essential Spelling list of Fred Schonell.
One day I was told by a private school's bursar that local private school are better than PATES' GRAMMAR School and more chance, I still believe that the league table may tell me the truth.
Look forward to your reply.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Masterlee

Pates Grammar do not suggest a difference in their tests. But then I am no expert for your area. I would ring the school for clarification.

http://www.pates.gloucs.sch.uk/

Patricia
Orson

Paper 2 - harder?

Post by Orson »

Masterlee (and Patricia)

The LEA/NFER Nelson say that paper 1 is straightforward whilst paper 2 is "... of a more searching nature."

Last year children were given five more minutes to complete paper 2 than paper 1, indicating this to be the case.

The two papers do not differ significantly in nature/format/types.

Feedback I've received from students over the last 15+ years indicates that paper 2 is harder than 1 and is intended to 'sort the wheat from the chaff' by ensuring that those most able at VR have the opportunity to outscore their peers.