Tips on Verbal

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mum.my

Tips on Verbal

Post by Mum.my »

We struggled with our 10 year old boy for Vocabulary a lot, there was so much to cover in so little time. We are glad as he finally got a confirmed space in Wilsons Boys. Happy to share tips for anyone who wants.
Sahara1

Re: Tips on Verbal

Post by Sahara1 »

Yes..please as I am having same trouble with my son...its seem now its is all about closed questions and Synoms/Ant

Thanks
Success999

Post by Success999 »

Same here...my ds reads a lot but as English is not our first language,we feel he need to be stretched more. We would like to receive Your tips mum.my
Thanks
Mandalay123

Post by Mandalay123 »

Yes please, any tips much appreciated!

My DS reads a lot but absolutely hates looking words up or even trying to find out the meaning of them. In some ways, he does have an instinct as to what it might mean but i fear this isn't enough now. I am, and have been since a young age, an avid reader and i certainly didn't stop to look up a word in the dictionary every time I came across a word i didn't know so i am a little reluctant to impose this on him every time.

We recently tried some of the FPTP Cloze papers and he found them incredibly tough. To do over 18 multiple choice questions in 4 minutes was incredibly tough and I, myself, found it hard and subject to error at that speed. The partial words ones seem almost insurmountable and the Word Bank ones not much better. Has anyone else found these papers particularly hard?

I recently made up the compound word game (from little cards) that was suggested on this forum and whilst he thought it was good, he seemed to lose interest pretty quickly. Other than keeping an eye on all the vocab he has come across and getting him to write these words out, and then put them in a sentence (which would take an age!) I'm not sure what else to try.

Any suggestions welcome!

Many thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now