Difficulty of various papers

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
faitaccompli

Difficulty of various papers

Post by faitaccompli »

I have read somewhere (but simply cannot find it again!) which papers are considered more difficult than others.

The ones we are using are

GL Assessment (Pack 1 and Pack 2 - understand pack 2 is harder?)
Bond 10-11+ Book 2 Assessment Papers
Bond 11+ Pack 1 Test Papers
IPS
Bucks Practice Papers

Any comments on this would be helpful. Am hurtling between thinking my child is an infant prodigy to a total idiot and suspect there is a difference in standard between the above!

Thanks
patricia

Re: Difficulty of various papers

Post by patricia »

Dear faitaccompli

Which area school are you applying for?

Bond and GL Assessment do not go hand in hand. If your Areas/Schools is using GL Assessment, then Bond are not relevant.

GL Assessment type papers in order of approximate difficulty. Not an exact science.

AFN
The Tutors [ full tests ] / IPS
Madeleine Guyon - Learning Lab [beginners] / GL Assesment pack 1
Madeleine Guyon - Learning Lab [normal] / GL Assessment pack 2
Bright Sparks
Walsh

With respect to the Bucks Practice papers Test A is slightly easier than the real test, Tests 1 and 2 slightly harder than A. I would but I and 2 just before Bright Sparks.

Patricia
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Slough and Bucks (late testing for both) - so we are doing as many papers as we can to cover all angles ...
patricia

Post by patricia »

I believe the Slough Grammars aslo use GL Assessment.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=23354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

patricia wrote:Dear faitaccompli

Which area school are you applying for?

Bond and GL Assessment do not go hand in hand. If your Areas/Schools is using GL Assessment, then Bond are not relevant.

GL Assessment type papers in order of approximate difficulty. Not an exact science.

AFN
The Tutors [ full tests ] / IPS
Madeleine Guyon - Learning Lab [beginners] / GL Assesment pack 1
Madeleine Guyon - Learning Lab [normal] / GL Assessment pack 2
Bright Sparks
Walsh

With respect to the Bucks Practice papers Test A is slightly easier than the real test, Tests 1 and 2 slightly harder than A. I would but I and 2 just before Bright Sparks.

Patricia
Thanks Patricia - that kind of is where we are at in that case - he waltzed through A and did not have any problems (apart from time, as he had shut his right thumb in the car door ... :roll: ) with test 1. Not done test 2 yet.

IPS he finds very easy and GL pack 2 slightly harder than pack 1. I was not sure whether he was not trying on some of them, or whether they were a little more difficult!
Cheam

Post by Cheam »

Hi Patricia,

My girl is preparing for Non Such and Tiffins. Which publisher and what order would you recommend for VR and NVR please?

Many thanks
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Cheam

With regard to Tiffins, they use the same VR tests as Bucks, take a look at my post in the following thread. Bucks use 21 types over 2 tests. Tiffins will use 12/13 types out of the 21 as they only have one VR test. You need to cover all 21 types as you do not know which ones will be included in the test.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 510#p48510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nonsuch write their own VR papers, see the following link

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/Surrey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I cannot offer advice for Non Verbal Reasoning, take a look at the Surrey section of the forum.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Luck!

Patricia
la boume

Post by la boume »

DD sat Nonsuch last year and told me straight after the exam that VR was also GL Assessment?
Orson

Post by Orson »

If your 'local' grammars use GL Assessment and you're just trawling through Bond and Susan Daughtrey then
a) you won't be covering all the relevant types and
b) you'll be covering some irrelevant types.
Don't presume your tutor (if you're using one) knows this either...especially if you're in Gloucestershire.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Hi

I've spent ages searching through the forums looking for this thread so I am attempting to bump it, in case anyone else is looking for it aswell.

Any similar advice re: difficulty levels of papers for maths and NVR is greatly appreciated by my waistline as I have nervously chomped through1/2 pack of choc digestives whilst hunched over the computer. :oops:

Please advise regarding papers relevant to the Kent test.