Verbal reasoning question types in Torbay, Devon?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Russon

Verbal reasoning question types in Torbay, Devon?

Post by Russon »

This is a life-saving site! My daughter has spent three of her primary school years in Swiss state schools and we are moving back to Torbay this summer and urgently need to catch up before she sits the 11 plus. She's extremely bright, but has been working in German. Can anyone tell me which VR question types are set in Torbay? Thanks!
Katie

Post by Katie »

Hi,

Torbay schools use multiple choice type V.R.papers. For Churston Grammar sch - two VR tests are taken on consecutive weeks in November, accompanied by a mathematics paper one week and an English paper the other.

Only the VR elements of the tests are age adjusted, not the English or Maths.
Some schools in Torbay choose not to support children entering selection tests, and others seem to have a disproportionately high success rate at entry to grammar.
If I was moving to Torbay - I would investigate what support is offered by the primary school you're choosing as this can make a huge difference later on should you be in the unfortunate position of having to appeal for a place.

The majority of children entering the tests here have private tutors to prepare for selection tests. There is great debate about the effectiveness of this practice, but it undoubtedly makes a difference to some children.
pm me for further info about individual schools. Good luck.
Russon

Post by Russon »

I'm so sorry not to have replied sooner - we've moved and had no Internet connection. Thank you for the information! We would be taking the exam for the Torquay Girls' Grammar and I had thought the 11 plus was in standard form, but clearly not. I shall PM you as suggested.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now