Help with VR question please.

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

coolmum123

Help with VR question please.

Post by coolmum123 »

Hello all,

I wonder if there is a technique for answering the following question:

It is in the 11+ - 12+ Bond 5th VR papers I don't know what the question type is but it's the one where you are given a word which you have to create 2 new words by changing one letter at a time and end up with another given word. eg

Lent _____ ______ Bean where the 2 new words are bent beat

We can't figure out the technique and DS is a bit hit and miss when doing the papers as he guesses.

I looked in the IPS VR technique book but couldn't find the question type so now I have turned to you guys!! Does anyone know how to do it or is it just a case of guessing?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Coolmum
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

With these you change one letter at a time.

So, for Lent to Bean as follows:

Lent
Bent
Beat
Bean

PS: I should add that you don't need to change the letters in any specific order - just do it in the order which makes most send of the words IYSWIM
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi coolmum

This type of question and techniques for answering them is in one of the original Susan Daughtery books, but I can't remember which one.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Hi,

It is in SD's book 1, technique type 6. However her example has only two stages unlike this one which has three and is therefore slightly harder. She recommends starting with the two common letters but here only one letter remains the same rather than two as in her examples. The method will still work though.