Vr standard format v multiple choice

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
coolmum123

Vr standard format v multiple choice

Post by coolmum123 »

Hello everyone,

We are doing some prep work in anticipation of the forthcoming exams! I have a question re the format we should be practising.

Currently we have been doing Bond papers and other standard format papers. My Ds will be sitting Dr Challoners, Habs, QE, Merchant Taylors all of whom hold a VR exam. I think Dr Challoners and QE are multiple choice, don't know as to the format of the Independent Schools (does anyone know for sure?) and if we practise on standard format is there a disadvantage when soing the multiple choice papers or should I do a mixture of both?

DS average scores under timed conditions are around 88%

Thanks and Regards
Coolmum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I presume by DCGS you mean the Bucks 11+?

The questions are 80 VR in 50 minutes MC format - you will need to live quite near to get a place if your child qualifies.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi coolmum123

It is best to complete papers in the format in which they are set. However, preparation material that contains relevant question types in a format different to the tests should also be used.

For example, the Bucks 11+ tests are 2 papers, 80 questions per paper, completed in 50 minutes, covering 21 question types, highest score counting.

Preparation material covering individual question types can be used.

Preparation material with short question papers can be used.

Preparation material in CD format can be used.

All the above are available in multiple-choice format.

Multiple-choice questions can be a little more difficult than standard questions as the answer options in vocabulary type questions can contain a range of ambiguities that draw the student away from the correct answer.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
Doghouse135

Post by Doghouse135 »

Am I right in saying that the Medway tests are multiple choice - not sure if that's a hindrance or a help - they've sure confused me :roll:
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Coolmum123

If your child is taking different exams with different formats [ie Multiple Choice and Standard form] Then yes you need to practice both formats.

Techniques used are different for Multiple Choice. In addition the questions themselves are different for Standard Form. Std format can include additional types to the 21 set by NFER.

Patricia

Dear Doghouse135

Take a look at the Medway section it may be of some use...

Patricia
coolmum123

Thanks for tips - msg for Mike and Patricia

Post by coolmum123 »

Thanks everyone for responding to my question, I have found the tips most helpful.

After this has been posted I will be buying some multiple choice VR from the bookshop I'm thinking Bright Sparks - Susan Daughtry (this has been reccomeended to me) given the schools that DS is sitting for mentioned above are these good? or do you reccomend any others?

also Mike / Patricia

In your opinion given that QE and Dr Challoners are multiple choice do you think it is wise for me to get DS to do only this type until the exams are over and then do standard format for the Independents or should I mix and match from now?

Also is his average score good or should it be higher?

Thanks
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Mike, I am interested to read that you think the MC are a little harder. We had been doing standard but have switched because the exams will be MC (inexperience on my part). I was hoping that my son would find it easier due to a problem he has with spelling, not helped by the fact that he was taught in Welsh up until Y4. Also he does find it much easier to find the hidden 4 letter words in this format.

What sort of ambiguities do we need to look out for?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Coolmum,

You need about 85% for Bucks so aim for 90% in practice papers.

However, places are allocated on distance from the school so, as I said, you need to live near the school and in catchment. Not all children in catchment got a place for 2008.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Tolstoy

We have written a methods & techniques course that covers the 21 question types and a range of variances within the question types, this is available from the free downloads section of this site.

We have also written free demo questions for our verbal reasoning CDs that can be viewed in the interactive CDs section.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks for getting back to me, Mike.

I have already down loaded the Tutors technique sheets in preparation for my second son who will sit his eleven plus 2009.

Unfortunately I have used the Susan D 1 - 4 books (standard format) for eldest who does his this November. We are away for two weeks in September and with time of the essence I wonder if you could point out which of the types you think would be trickier using multiple choice so that I could just repeat those with him using the Tutors MC format.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now