Tutors Volume 2, Test 11 and 12

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaysDarlin

Tutors Volume 2, Test 11 and 12

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hello everyone. I sincerely appreciate everyones help as I am currently a DIY tutor to my son.

Test 11 - Its all about David, Gary, July, Jade and Mandy, who are aged 14, 13, 12, 12, 11... and you have to find out which two are the same age - its sooo hard! Or do you guys not think so?

Test 12, q11 - time and share are opposite in meaning - how is this? baffled!

Thanks,

Sara.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Jays Darlin

Can you write the questions out in full?

Without actually seeing the question, I am suspecting times [as in multiplying] is the opposite to share [as in dividing]

The question about the ages, sounds like a common Z, whereby you need two columns in order to work out the answer, but we need the rest of the information to help you.

Patricia
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hi Patricia. Thanks for this. <hugs>

two words opposite in meaning:

(round allot time) (share generous watch)

I would never have thought time and share were being used in the context of multiply and divide! wouldnt it be more appropriate to say "times" and not "time"?

next question:

Daniel, Gary, July, Jade and Mandy, who are aged 14, 13, 12, 12, 11... but not neccessarily in that order.

Daniel is 2 yrs younger than Jade
Gary is 2 years younger than July,
Mandy is older than Daniel,

Which of them are the same ages?

A Gary, and Daniel
B Gary and Mandy
C Daniel, and Mandy
D Daniel and Jade
E Gary and Jade

hubby has worked out the answer which is B. but i tried so many times and I was completely baffled - is there an easy way to work it out?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Jaysdarlin

(round allot time)
(share generous watch)

The standard method & technique for this question is to first see if the answer is obvious based on the vocabulary of the student. If the answer is not obvious then look at all the answer options and eliminate answer options that are clearly not correct, this is where "reasoning" is applied.

round - share NO
round - generous NO
round - watch NO

allot - share
allot - generous NO
allot - watch NO

time - share
time - generous NO
time - watch NO

I would consider that there are two possible answer options to choose from ALLOT - SHARE and TIME - SHARE, ALLOT and SHARE are similar in meaning not "opposite" therefore choose TIME - SHARE.

I agree that the question would be better if we changed TIME to TIMES and will ask elevenplusexams to make the necessary alterations.

2nd query
You need to consider a systematic approach and insert relevant information as you proceed through the question.

Place the ages in order then insert "possible" information

Daniel is 2yrs younger than Jade. With the ages provided Daniel can only be 11 or 12 and Jade can only be 13 or 14

14 Jade
13 Jade
12 Daniel
12 Daniel
11 Daniel

Gary is 2 years younger than July. Gary can only be 11 or 12 and July can only be 13 or 14

14 Jade July
13 Jade July
12 Daniel Gary
12 Daniel Gary
11 Daniel Gary

13 and 14 can only be either Jade or July. If Mandy is older than Daniel, then she can only be 12, therefore Daniel must be 11.

14 Jade July
13 Jade July
12 Mandy
12 Gary
11 Daniel

The answer is Gary and Mandy. In this question we do not need to know Jade and July's exact ages but the knowledge that they fill the first two ages is the key to the question.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

A BIG THANK YOU PATRICIA AND MIKE!!!!!

Hmm... Yes it is a bit ambigious with it being called TIME and not TIMES... which always makes me wonder - how does the examiners deal with unintentionally set ambigious questions on the day? or are the examiners so perfect that they would never make a mistake? ;)

with regards to the second question - WOW that has been worked out so systematically! I LOVE IT!

Thanks again, Sara.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Jays Darlin

Here is another way of working out the answer. I have used **** because I cannot produce columns. Of course in the real test, we do not use rulers for perfect lines, its a quick drawing.

Daniel, Gary, July, Jade and Mandy, who are aged 14, 13, 12, 12, 11... but not neccessarily in that order.

Daniel is 2 yrs younger than Jade
Gary is 2 years younger than July,
Mandy is older than Daniel,

Which of them are the same ages?

A Gary, and Daniel
B Gary and Mandy
C Daniel, and Mandy
D Daniel and Jade
E Gary and Jade

You need 2 columns, to show each possibility. Daniel is 2 years younger than Jade, this could be 12 and 14 or 11 and 13. First column would show Daniel as 12 and Jade as 14, the second column would show Daniel as 11 [because 12 has already been used] and Jade as 13 [because 14 has already been used]

The same idea is used for Gary and July. The Ist column, Gary is 11 [because 12 already used] July would be 13 [because 14 already used] Second column Gary would be 12, July would be 14

As the original information gives 2 x 12 and we have only used 1 x 12, in each column, Mandy must be 12 in both columns.

D / 12 **** 11

G / 11 **** 12

Ju/ 13 **** 14

Ja /14 **** 13

M / 12 **** 12

We are told Mandy is older than Daniel, therefore column 2 must be the correct one [column 1 she is the same age] Leaving Gary and Mandy as the same age.

I like these Zs. Like many of my students, we wish the whole test consisted of Zsssss.

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now