Thank You Patricia - Type 19

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Silverflora I agree totally. Patricia it would be wonderful if you could produced your own methods in a book format. I would gladly pay :D
Y

Post by Y »

patricia wrote: With regard to your second example, I complained to NFER many years ago. I noted by substituting D for CL it made sense. It is a printing error. The word DOSE should be CLOSE

(grown [sewn] dose)
(bloat [ ] globe)

Grown [sewn] close
Bloat [?????] globe

S comes from 4th on the right = B

E comes from 5th on the right = E

W comes from 4th on the left = A

N comes from 5th on the left = T

Patricia
Well I never. It wouldn't have occurred to me that this was a printing error, since there is another way to work it out. I've spotted a good few errors in the IPS materials, but have neglected to note them. Perhaps we could have an 'Errors in published materials' sticky?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Y

I can understand how mistakes can be made, however once pointed out, they should be sorted.

Patricia
Bucks Mum

Post by Bucks Mum »

patricia wrote:Dear Y

Hi Patricia

You said a few posts back
Yes agree with the different lengh codes/words found in type C. My children are quite drilled in this matter
Also I've noticed in a few practice papers, that for Type O sometimes the words in the third pair are shorter than in the two examples given. From memory I think one of the BS questions was

WINDOW (DOWN), xxxxx (can't remember second example!)

AMPLE (?)

The answer was LEAP but I wondered Patricia what the 'drill' was that you have taught your children to deal with discrepancies of word length in these C and O types. My DS got there in the end but he spent an awful lot of time and emotional energy on it. I wonder if it seemed more difficult than it was as I could only advise him to go through it methodically but how do you know which of the letters in the longer example to discard?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Bucks Mum

I explain how to complete using ALL the letters, in order to show the method. Once the child has the technique sorted, I would progress to 1st and last..Hope this clarifies.

I teach my children to ignore the second pair, unless there are 2 answers or it’s a spelling one.

I call this type where does the letter come from, I do not put numbers on top of the letters as it wastes time. Care has to be taken if there are a different number of letters in the 1st word of the 1st pair in comparison to the 1st word of the 3rd pair [ as in the following example ]

No 68
(window down) (sitter test)
(ample [?])

Answer: leap

D where does it come from? 4th letter, 4th letter of the word ample is L
O where does it come from? 5th letter, 5th letter of the word ample is E
W where does it come from? 1st and 6th letter, 1st letter of the word ample is A [there is no 6th]
N where does it come from? 3rd letter, 3rd letter of the word ample is P

Ist and last method D where does it come from = 4th letter = L
N where does it come from = 3rd letter = P

Look for L and P on the answers sheet as being the 1st and last letters.

With regard to codes, my chlidren are taught to scan:

1] Is it Mirror?

2] Check how many letters in the first line compared to what is being looked for.

eg The code for WINE is DRMV
What is the code for VIPERS

First check is it mirror? Look at 1st letter of code and word, yes they are mirror, always make a second check E is the mirror of V so yes this is a mirror code.

Secondly 4 letters in first line 6 in second line, therefore when last letter of 1st line found, take care to check 4th letter on 2nd line and answer sheet [not the 6th]

These 2 checks have taken all of 5 seconds tops.

Mirror of V = E
Mirror of E = V

Child refers to answer sheet looking for 1st and 4th letters of E and V respectively.

Patricia
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Wow! Thanks Patricia!

I am totally loving this thread! See, this is what Im talking about! These valuable tips and techniques are so essential for polishing exam technique! :D

You know, a week back, I toyed with the idea of getting my do a tutor, and went to see one recommended my a friend. The tutor told me he taught the children "all the different types" and "not just 21", and was explaining how it was important to cover everything and anything.

I was so frustrated! I didnt go back again! :roll:

See, we need to hone in on the 21 types, polish them to a deep shine and then get our kids to ZAP THEM! :lol:
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Some more tips from Patricia and others.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 8854#78854
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now