This question just stumps me

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Thea

Post by Thea »

This is quite reassuring if this is the most difficult it is likley to get. It also illustrates the importance of getting them comletely familiar with mental arithmetic to the point they just 'see the answer, as with the square roots above. So lots of mental arithmetic and time tables too, till it is automatic...
Best Regards,
Thea
Newbie but stressed

Post by Newbie but stressed »

(33 [ 16 ] 29) (25 [ 25 ] 20)

(19 [16] 15 )

Is this correct ?

I have subtracted second number from the first then times it by itself.

i.e

19-15= 4 * (4) = 16

After patricia's second explanation and other posts my daughter now understands the options available to her and I'm much happier.

Thanks for all the help..
QE Dad

Post by QE Dad »

Dear Newbie,

The question you posted at the top of this thread is not as difficult as you make out. I would not say it was easy for a 10 year old either, however keep it into perspective. That question was at best on a par with other papers. I can cite examples from Dynamite and learning Together papers that are more taxing but then again it might be obvious to others and only taxing to me or my son.

I think several people have already agreed with me in that your question, for a properly prepared child is entirely manageable, as is every other question written by educational professionals.

Without naming the company/site whose paper you used I would guess that it could be 1) a company that gets its questions written and printed in Pakistan (even if they are teachers in Pakistan they cannot possibly be experienced enough to know the level and standard of 11 plus tests here) or 2) a Bucks business run by an individual having no formal teaching credentials.

In contrast I think Spirio made the point above: every paper on this website has transparency. You can see who wrote these and many of these authors have been publishing in major bookshops for years (Learning Together, MW Educational, Dynamite Educational). As stated at http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/epapers/index.php : -

“All ElevenPlusExams authors are graduates with more than 10 years experience in 11plus or common entrance examinations preparation. Most are qualified head teachers, deputy head teachers or teachers who have also published 11 plus practice material extensively”

The point being made here is that these authors should have the knowledge of exactly what level to pitch the questions based on their extensive experience of getting children through these examinations over many years.

Also bear in mind that the question bank of organisations such as NFER has not changed for nearly 10 years and therefore this takes the guessing out of difficulty of questions.

Unlike other sites, the owners of this site do not claim to be the experts themselves. What they do, however, is bring together the professionals to provide expert advice.

The owners of the site went out of their way to guide me and my son and gave us the much needed encouragement to persevere. My son got into QE boys grammar in Barnet – the school was the top of league tables for the last three consecutive years. I cannot thank this site enough for all their good work. My younger son will be sitting the 11 plus next year and I am confident now, thanks to the assistance and advice given by this site, that he has a very good chance of getting into the same school.

QED
Spirio

Post by Spirio »

Dear Newbie but stressed,

Yes, your answer 16 is correct.

I hope you can now see the questions start to appear easy once you master the the possible types of formulas.

best of luck to your daughter

Spirio
newbie but stressed

Post by newbie but stressed »

Hi Spiro.

Yes thanks for your post about the possible formula options. This was very useful. Great help

she is starting to get the hang of these now and yes is looking for all the possible ways of finding the number,

We have 6-7 Weeks left so I'm sure she'll be fine with these.

Thanks again

NBS
Richard

Post by Richard »

Stressed Newbie,

It seems to me that the wrong assumption that you make is that when you see a harder question you immediately mistrust everyone else's products without questioning the source of your questions.

Try calling the author(s) of the other papers and ask:

* Does the author have a formal teaching qualification?
* How many years has the author been teaching in schools?
* How many years has the author been tutoring?
* Has the author even put their own child through 11 plus?
* Is the author an Oxbridge graduate?

etc etc

Is the author is of the same quality as those found on this site?:

* Several Headteachers (one with 23 years of 11 plus preparation e.g. Learning Together; Dynamite Education)
* (Retired) Deputy Headteacher (with nearly 30 years of year 6 preparation e.g. Step-by-Step)
* Several heads of departments and heads of years (e.g. Mark & Wendy Chatterton [MW Educational], one of whom is an Oxford graduate)
* Professional Tutors (graduates with 13 years of experience running a centre dedicated to 11 plus e.g. The Tutors)
* Qualified teachers who have themselves been through the grammar school system (e.g. Tuition For You)

and so on. Many of the above have been publishing in the shops, some since 1992!

If you put this level of expertise side by side with your revered source there will be no comparison. Most e-papers sold by other websites are written by ghost authors (one website claims to be former examiners - do dig deeper there and you will be shocked), others are ill qualified to write these papers etc. Many authors hide behind P.O. Box numbers. Alot of the other websites do not even have a telephone number! Merely writing a hard question does not make the paper better - it can in fact have quite the opposite demoralising effect on a child. You need realistic questions.

After going through practically every single website out there last year for my daughter and for my son this year I can conclude that if it's any good it will be on this website (books / e-papers etc).

For me this website has it all. It's a perfect melting pot for quality, publications, contributors and free consultants like those on this forum. By the latter I mean I was amazed to find authors like Mike Edwards, Stephen Curran etc writing in this forum and answering questions about their publications, as well as former professional appeals panel chairperson giving first hand insights.

Conclusion: Don't torment your daughter unnecessarily with questions that may demoralise her. Writing a question that is 'too hard' for me is quite the opposite - it is a sign of inexperienced author.

Rich
Slough
newbie but stressed

Were on my posts does it say I mistrust everyone else papers. ?

I have downloaded and used the papers on this Website quite happily and would recommend them to anyone..

I was simply stating a difference in difficulty level on other Papers I've used.
newbie but stressed

For your information here is my original post. Second line doesn't mention anything about Mistrust..

"I am using also papers from another source which are much difficult than what I have downloaded from here. Although the Papers here are excellent, I think the difficulty level is not as hard.

I suspect these are the type she'll be getting on the real exam.

These can seriously delay her timing when she tries to resolve and I'm worried about these"

Please clarify your extra long winded post.