TBS Writing Skills expectancy level

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

aimfor11plus

TBS Writing Skills expectancy level

Post by aimfor11plus »

DS has been invited for Tiffin Second stage .
We have been practising various types of writing at home , but still not clear on the standard of writing that the boys will be tested. Its really pity on a 10 year old to expect high standard of writing and that too from boys...
Can anyone clarify on this please?

TIA.
tiffinboys

Re: TBS Writing Skills expectancy level

Post by tiffinboys »

Some of the boys would have natural ability to write well, some may have been tutored by good tutors and some may have been coached to death. Tiffin exams in English are of high standard for 11 years old. Text used is often from books being read at gcse, though as some have pointed out before, the questions and comprehension level expected would not be gcse level. One can't really teach good and creative writing in few months or weeks, but at this stage can pay attention to SPaG and try to write as cohesive as possible.
aimfor11plus

Post by aimfor11plus »

Some of the boys would have natural ability to write well, some may have been tutored by good tutors and some may have been coached to death. Tiffin exams in English are of high standard for 11 years old. Text used is often from books being read at gcse, though as some have pointed out before, the questions and comprehension level expected would not be gcse level. One can't really teach good and creative writing in few months or weeks, but at this stage can pay attention to SPaG and try to write as cohesive as possible.

Thank you for the prompt reply tiffinboys. Yes, will do as advised .DS is usually good at SPAG, need to focus more on coherent writing.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

In my opinion the ability to write well is a critical skill and I am amazed at schools that do not include this in their selective tests.

The numbers at QE preclude this but they do include it in their in year test to fill places of boys who have left. DG
aimfor11plus

Post by aimfor11plus »

Doagroupie, totally agree .They should mention in the Test Criteria on the levels that the pupils are tested.
Expecting GCSE level of writing(as mentioned by tiffinboys) from a primary school pupil is a bit too much ...
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

aimfor11plus wrote: Expecting GCSE level of writing(as mentioned by tiffinboys) from a primary school pupil is a bit too much ...
Not exactly. Please read my comments above.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think you misread mine too! I wrote that I was amazed at schools that DO NOT include writing in their selection tests, not at ones who do. I think they should all be doing this as a standard part of their tests. Students need to be able to write to do well at GCSE. DG
aimfor11plus

Post by aimfor11plus »

tiffinboys and doagroupie, Thank you very much for clarifying.
Looks like my brain is stressed out too much with all these 11+ exams.

Thank you again .
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Make sure that he uses ambitious vocabulary, writes in paragraphs, avoids too much dialogue (a big problem with boys!) and avoids using Minecraft, Pokemon and other crazes in the plot!

Try to get him used to starting his sentences differently, using the (in)famous fronted adverbial or starting with the subordinate clause - not forgetting the comma after it.

Finally, try and get the writing to be cohesive.

Good Luck! I tear my hair out daily trying to get year 6 to do this!
:roll: