Two Tiffin Boys in Year 7 (2008) Aready Dropped Out

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SSM

Post by SSM »

The thing is, it is not just foreign workers. A boy at my DS's GS dropped out at Christmas of Y7 as his parents went to work abroad.

So it seems a bit unfair to regulate against foreign workers, who might wish to stay here for longer but whose Visas don't get renewed and not against citizens wishing to move abroad.
moved

Post by moved »

Does this mean that you believe that children whose parents often work abroad should not have the right to a selective education here? Surely if they earn a place then they should benefit from an education and then should they leave, due to circumstances beyond their control, the places can be awarded to another child who is new to the area or who is on a waiting list.

Regarding the tax situation, many British people work all over the world, paying taxes to Britain, for an education they only rarely, if ever, use.
Rather than being angry perhaps we should feel some sympathy for families who have worked hard to find school places for their children only to lose them so quickly.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Moving,
Was your post aimed at me or the OP?

If me, no I'm not at all angry and just trying to say that none of us knows what lies in the future and if a child gains a place at a school, then as far as I'm concerned that's fine.

However, saying that, if a child gets a place at a very over subscribed school, and the parents know full well that they would have to give the place up within the first term or two, then I do think it is a bit selfish of them, but it is their right.
moved

Post by moved »

No, not aimed at you. More at all of us. It can be very hard changing location. When we are under pressure we are not always as generous as we might be. :)
I am not sure that anyone sane would put their child through the pressure of the 11+ if they thought that they would move so early in the child's education.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

moving wrote: Regarding the tax situation, many British people work all over the world, paying taxes to Britain, for an education they only rarely, if ever, use.
Rather than being angry perhaps we should feel some sympathy for families who have worked hard to find school places for their children only to lose them so quickly.
Agree with the sympathy point - that must be very difficult.

On the taxes however, that is not correct unless the person is abroad for a few months only. Once you leave you stop being resident and you stop being liable for most taxes in Britain such as income tax. That's why people go to places like Dubai- they pay no taxes.
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.