nonsuch exam 2009

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mynameisbond

nonsuch exam 2009

Post by mynameisbond »

While at the recent Nonsuch open evening I asked what exactly the letter we will receive from them on Oct 9th would say with regard to the exam. I was told that it would simply state the pass mark for the exam and our daughter's mark- nothing more. Does anyone know whether they will be prepared to give the maximum score possible as well. It seems crazy that the purpose of giving an early result is meant to help one in deciding where to place a school on the CAF form but Nonsuch doesn't seem to be prepared to give the information to enable parents to make an informed choice. I am confused - please can anyone else give an opinion/view on this or maybe someone out there knows more about this than we do ? Many thanks
santamad

Post by santamad »

:?: Interesting this post hasn't had a response yet as I suspect there are others wondering about this as I been considering too (but without useful answer!!). Does anybody know how the letters are likely to be worded? Unless there is clarity that can help you make a decision, it does seem absurd to be doing the test and getting the results so early.

Furthermore does anyone know what the entrance score for Nonsuch was this year both for in-catchment and out of catchment?

Many thanks if there is anyone out there who has any idea at all! :?
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

It is quiet on this section isn't it - maybe everyone is on holiday!

I can't help with the contents of the results letter problem, but may be able to shed some light on the cut off marks for the last year or two.

I actually rang the school this year and was told that if you were in catchment (i.e. Circle A as was then known) and you had scored 326 - the usual pass mark - that you would have been given an offer in the initial allocation.

Now, I'm not convinced that the person I spoke to fully understood what I was asking her, and I know for a fact that in the previous couple of years the cut off mark for initial in catchment allocation was around 332 (you had to score at least 326 to be eligible for the waiting list).

Nonsuch guards the top 50 cut off mark like a state secret and there have been other threads on this subject. When we asked this question at DD1's open day ( a couple of years ago) we were told that you would probably have to score around 390. This actually proved quite accurate in DD1s year - she got in from outside catchment with a score of over 400, but we knew someone who got in the high 380s and didn't get an offer in the initial allocation. There have also been posts on this forum for this year's entry where children scored in high 370s and didn't get offers.

Obviously this is all historic and things could be very different this year. The out of catchment cut-off mark should be lower (extra 30 girls getting in this way) but it really depends on whether the standardisation process is going to be the same with the pass mark being set at 326. They may decide to use a different process - for example Tiffins, where the pass mark is around 232 due to the change from maths to NVR.

I actually found the admissions officer at Nonsuch to be much more helpful if you contact her outside of the usual open day scenario. Before DD1 started there I e-mailed her several questions and she was very helpful. It can't hurt to ask!
santamad

Post by santamad »

Good point, I may well give them a ring. I tried emailing previously and didn't get any response so was put off (very easy to do to me as always slightly embarressed about these things! :oops:)

Your info is useful though 2out3. I guess there won't be any absolutes with all change for this year. Those out of catchement scores seem amazingly high and your DD1 did brilliantly to be offered a place - can I assume you are going through the same for a second daughter this year?

Either way, thanks for responding, guess everyone else is off sunning themselves somewhere! (Shame there isn't a green-faced smiley!)