WCGS Test Results Out Today

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Actually i do now understand the preference order. :lol:
The reason why i was concerned about the Wallington offer,was more about the choices that i list after that.
I live in SW london and so we get 6 choices.
And if Wallington is guaranteed than the preferences after that don't matter so much.
But i have learnt that there are no guarantees in life and so i am still being careful as to where i position schools :!: :roll: :!:
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Just received a letter from WCGS...

"I have been advised by the Local Auhtority that a number of parents found our results letter difficult to understand and they have asked me to write to clarify a few points..."

:lol:

Maybe they will be more careful when wording next years letter.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
surreymother2

Post by surreymother2 »

that'll teach them for sneakily trying to scare people into putting them first!
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

HI
my DS is far too down in the rank 445 in WCGS result earlier this month. Is it worth including that school at all, I am very concerned that based on past statistics it went down to 375 last year. The letter indicated that. The admission lady in WCGS on 14th October mentioned that with improvment of economy more parents might choose to opt for independent sector despite their DS passing the WCGS test in high colour? My point is how statistically significant is this obervation? why would people opt for expensive indpendent school while they get well comparable free grammar school place?
I would like to appreciate your advice on the following point.
If I still decide to put WCGS in the CAF, don't I loose virtually one choice given his rank is 445? On the otherhand if I donot put WCGS I donot get considered in the waiting list.
I need to hand in the CAF next week, your advice will highly be appreciated.
when the process will end

Post by when the process will end »

ardmore wrote:HI
my DS is far too down in the rank 445 in WCGS result earlier this month. Is it worth including that school at all, I am very concerned that based on past statistics it went down to 375 last year. The letter indicated that. The admission lady in WCGS on 14th October mentioned that with improvment of economy more parents might choose to opt for independent sector despite their DS passing the WCGS test in high colour? My point is how statistically significant is this obervation? why would people opt for expensive indpendent school while they get well comparable free grammar school place?
If I still decide to put WCGS in the CAF, don't I loose virtually one choice given his rank is 445? On the otherhand if I donot put WCGS I donot get considered in the waiting list.
It depends how many choices you can make on the CAF form. If you are in Surrey with three choices only, it may be prudent to ignore WCGS because statistically the chances for your DS are low. However, if you have six choices then you may well include it unless you have six better choices to make.

It is important that one choice should always be for a school which you are confident to be allocated a place.
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

when the process will end wrote:
It depends how many choices you can make on the CAF form. If you are in Surrey with three choices only, it may be prudent to ignore WCGS because statistically the chances for your DS are low. However, if you have six choices then you may well include it unless you have six better choices to make.

It is important that one choice should always be for a school which you are confident to be allocated a place.

Many thanks. I appreciate your word of advice.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I would agree with the info about the the number of choices you have. Remember your son has passed. Before 2 years ago both Sutton and Wallington were able to give places to all the boys who passed the exam and mopped up eachother's waiting lists previously. In fact the year before my last son sat it Sutton had 5 vacancies in the year as they didn't want to lower the standard.

You just never quite know what the demand for any one school is and where the rest of the applicants are from.

There are plenty of people who turn down grammar places for independent (and hold onto the grammar place for many weeks while deciding :evil: )

If you have 6 choices you have nothing to lose by including it
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

surreymum wrote:I would agree with the info about the the number of choices you have. Remember your son has passed. Before 2 years ago both Sutton and Wallington were able to give places to all the boys who passed the exam and mopped up eachother's waiting lists previously. In fact the year before my last son sat it Sutton had 5 vacancies in the year as they didn't want to lower the standard.

You just never quite know what the demand for any one school is and where the rest of the applicants are from.

There are plenty of people who turn down grammar places for independent (and hold onto the grammar place for many weeks while deciding :evil: )

If you have 6 choices you have nothing to lose by including it
Thank you again for your piece of advice.
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

ardmore wrote:
when the process will end wrote:

Many thanks. I appreciate your word of advice.
Yes, we are not from Surrey, have SIX choices to make.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now