Anybody know how hard the VR bit of the Wandsworth test is?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

showme

Anybody know how hard the VR bit of the Wandsworth test is?

Post by showme »

ds will be sitting the wandsworth test next year - as far as I can gather there are 2 NVR papers and 1 VR paper - the VR paper is apparently 'quite hard' and it's what schools like Graveney base their scores on

DS is very good at maths and NVR poses no problems, he's pretty good at VR as well, but I'm not sure what kind of standard is required, bearing in mind the minimum pass mark for getting into Graveney on the test was 98% last year :shock:

so does anybody know how hard 'quite hard' is please?
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello showme,
We are in Wandsworth as well.
My ds is in year 6 and his teachers have been showing his class examples of tests which he has found easy. ds has been preparing for Tiffin and so has seen some tough examples.
I think it maybe more the sheer numbers applying to graveney rather than the test being "hard",that pushes the passmark up!!!
Also the test is divided into sections so for example an explanation is given and then thay are timed for 15mins and cannot then go back to check. and the next section begins.
I think if your dc is fine with nvr then vr can be greatly improved with increasing his vocab understanding.
The vocab list for vr is brilliant from this site.
I hope i haven't waffled too much and the info was useful.
You are lucky you have time on your side,this time last year i was completely in the dark about all the tests!
Oh and i went to the Graveney open day this week and was so impressed!
The buildings are magnificent and there is such a positive atmosphere.
LuluQueen

Post by LuluQueen »

Hi showme,

DD sat the Wandsworth Test last year and said it was about the standard of the GL Assessment papers (NFER Nelson), maybe even easier.
She can't remember exactly, but thought to be 70-ish questions in 50 minutes.

The 98% pass mark for Graveney is kind of just a guide. It depends on what other classmates got for their score. DD knew a girl who scored 96% and didn't get in as she wasn't in the catchment and she had no sibling there. Those are also factors to consider.

The "two" NVR papers are explained thus:
Teacher (invigilator): The first NVR paper is nothing to worry about, it is just a warm up for the proper NVR paper, but your answers will still be marked for it.
DD said it was fine, just basic shapes like triangles with dots in the middle and so on.
The proper NVR paper is about GL's standard.

VR paper, once you've done one, you've done them all. Just need to brush up on vocabulary (not that difficult) and you should be fine!

Hope that helps,
LuluQueen :)
showme

Post by showme »

Thanks for the replies - very helpful :)