Travelling times

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DIY Mum3

Travelling times

Post by DIY Mum3 »

Dear All

I would really appreciate some feedback from parents on travelling times. We are only trying for one local grammar school and another which is a short bus ride away. Failing these, it will have to be the local comprehensive. I know there are other parents who are considering schools much further out, for example, travelling from Kingston to Wallington or vice versa. I know of a boy from my children's primary school who travelled from Kingston to Wilsons each day and always wondered how he coped with the journey. Parents whose children already make a significant journey every day to attend grammar schools in neighbouring boroughs, have you been happy with your decision? How much of a toll does the journey take on the child?

I would appreciate any feedback.
Nou

Post by Nou »

I have sent you a PM
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I think it is a matter for individuals to decide but we certainly really appreciate our sons being local and having fairly local friends. Travelling times can really be quite long across our patch of South London.

Sutton Grammar does get a few boys from the Kingston area as the 213 bus provides a really good service-not that many from the middle of Kingston, but plenty along the route-you never really know whether they come to Sutton as first choice or because they didn't make Tiffin. I think to get to Wallington or Wilsons it would be a whole different matter and starts to feel very difficult.

We would have considered any of the 3 Sutton schools but personally felt the journey to Kingston would have been too much so never even looked into Tiffin (hence can never advise on it :D )

To some extent it depends what your alternatives are and how you feel your child would manage with travelling and how far you have to go from the bus stop. I am always so glad when the evenings get light again and they are not coming home in the dark.