Any news from Wilsons?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

:shock: :D :shock: :D :shock: :D

Ds passed!
I can't believe it.

I hope everyone else has good news!
when the process will end

Post by when the process will end »

Heartiest congratulations Shaftsbury1. Are there any details re whether they will be able to offer a place etc...

I hope that my DS also passes. He was very circumspect after the exam.
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Huge congratulations to your ds, Shaftsbury1 :D :D :D :D
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

Congratulations. The boy had a terribly cold day on 4th and cracked it. Irrespetcive of what happens he deserves a big hug.
Let me share with you about my DS. He also passed. I have not seen the letter but my DW read over phone. It says 360 boys passed this year . 162.5 is the pass marks. Boys scoring more or equal to 167 in the last year had got admission. we donot know how much exactly he got as school's policy is not to disclose that. Towards the end the letter wrote my DS score is equal to or above 167.

Does this mean we have a good chance? I would request your opinion. Mind you this year about 1800 children ( 500 more) took the exam. 360 passed.

Surreymum I would request your reflection on this. He did well in SGS but we will not eb able to know until 2nd March.
Plum

Post by Plum »

Well done to Ardmore & Shaftbury's DS's - and the other 358 who passed! Unfortunately, my DS was not one of them! :( Hey ho and never mind... As DH pointed out, we had WCGS in the bag and we were just trying our luck with Wilson's! I think that having the tests closer together would have benefited my DS but then having them a few months apart probably helped some other boys - all swings and roundabouts! I know my mother-in-law will be chuffed as she lives very close to Wally Boys and no doubt DS will be popping back there for tea at least once a week!

Well done, again, to all those that passed - at least the wait is over (for now)!

Plumx
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Thank you so much everyone!
I am getting so nervous about March 2nd now.

:( Oh Plum,i am so sorry to hear about your ds,i hope he isn't too disappointed? I suppose your dh is happy that ds is following in his footsteps to Wallington?

Ardmore,our letter was the same as yours,from the sounds of it i would say that although they don't want to say it, in so many words,the score of 167 would mean a place.But it depends on how many of the 360 passed.Where have you put Wilsons on the CAF list?
Good luck to those still waiting!
Plum

Post by Plum »

Thanks Shaftbury - DS doesn't actually know yet as he went to tea at a friends! Don't think he'll be too worried - I think the reason he liked the school is because he hoped he may get to make a hovercraft like the one they had in the courtyard on open day!

In some ways it's done us a favour as it has taken the decision out of our hands and it carries on the family tradition for WCGS - he'll be the 3rd generation of DH's family to go there!

Anyway, I've consoled myself with a bit of retail therapy today (it works wonders) and I may have to indulge in a bar of chocolate later but otherwise I'm OK. It's those that don't have a backup that have my sympathy.....

Plumx
Nxx

Post by Nxx »

DS has also passed Wilsons!! :shock: :shock:

So sorry Plum, hopefully your DS isn't too disappointed.

Well done Ardmore and Shaftsbury1

My DS isn't too thrilled about passing as one of his good friends hasn't. They were both hoping to go to the same school(kids hey?)
:?

Plum, retail therapy does wonders for me too :wink:
Nxx
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

So sorry for Plum. WCGS is a great school. I spoke to the head teacher on the exam day. They are very very good in english. My DS also did score, but he just got 329 so was not sure.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Well done to all the boys, pass or not (and their parents). They go through such a gruelling time at the moment with the tests strung out over 4 months, and I think the Wilson's exam is particularly hard just after Christmas. However the one advantage of the different tests is it does permit them to have an off day and still get a grammar school place.

As I understand it the Wilson's letters fall into 4 categories, rather like Wallingtons:

Top however many-guaranteed place
Good pass (sounds like the letters you've had)-would expect to get a place in any normal year unless they are surprised and everyone has put them first (unlikely)
Pass but probably unlikely to get place in first round unless lots of people not put Wilson's first, but may get in off waiting list depending on rank
Fail

As far as I know the categories pan out pretty well, but that's the disadvantage of the system, unless you have a guaranteed place you will still be agonising until March even though you think it's quite likely.

I promise the memory of all of this does fade with time, although this time of year tends to bring it back a bit.