Wally boys - question for existing parents - travel.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
surreydad2010

Wally boys - question for existing parents - travel.

Post by surreydad2010 »

Silly early question but my wife asked me to ask!!
My DS is going in September...what is the traffic like around drop off time there in the morning if you are going by car..? Where does everyone tend to drop off / pick up? It's not like Wilsons where there is a nice handy layby!
Ta in advance!
SD.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

No children there, but used to drive by every morning on the way to work. Traffic is slow but no worse than anywhere else and not bad due to the school, just the limited routes between Sutton and Croydon :D

You see a few boys being dropped off-often pulling into the entrance to Beddington park or the left turn before the school on the left.

The majority of the boys make their own way there. I don't think you'll have any problems
Plum

Post by Plum »

Hi Surreydad

DS going there too (very exciting!) I know the area well although don't usually pass by that early in the morning! Probably the best place would be the park carpark just along from the school on the same side of the road as Surreymum said. You need to remember that there is also a primary school in Bute Road which is (almost) opposite Wally boys and the park carpark entrance (I would avoid Bute Rd at all costs - narrow, lots of parked cars and speed humps!) and an infants school further along Croydon Road. Although I would expect that these schools start later it all adds to the general traffic on an already busy road, particularly at the end of the school day!

Depending which direction you are coming from, you may be better off dropping your DS off in Harcourt Rd - its a turning on the other side of the road to the school a bit further towards the green. There are also a couple of other park carparks, one is by St Mary's church further towards Waddon and another is in London Road towards Hackbridge. Both are about a 5 minute walk through the park from the school, although you may not like your DS to do this on their own.

I think it will be a case of working out where is best for you. I am expecting my DS to be getting the bus after the first week or so. My nephew went to the school and said that getting the bus was the best bit!

Good luck
Plum