WCGS for boys test info

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
surreymum

WCGS for boys test info

Post by surreymum »

Please note - this information is based on the 2009 entrance exam and therefore may change for 2010 onwards (you should always check the schools' websites for their latest information and dates for open days, deadlines and exams).

(Information taken from WCGS Website)
The School admits 120 boys on the basis of their ability who are regarded as of selective ability according to their performance in the selection tests established by the school (there is no catchment area for WCGS)

a) Pupils who have reached the pass mark who are Looked After Children, then those who have medical or social grounds for admission supported by appropriate professional evidence.

b) In rank order of performance.

The School uses a Supplementary Form to administer the entrance examination. All applicants to Wallington County Grammar School must complete a Supplementary Form and supply a passport-sized photograph for examination security reasons. Supplementary Forms are available from the school or are downloadable from their website.

What format will the test take?

The selection test will consist of a short Verbal Reasoning paper, an English paper and a Mathematics paper in that order. A satisfactory performance is required in the English paper. All the examination papers are prepared by the school. They do NOT use NFER papers.

The Verbal Reasoning paper
20 minutes duration representing 20% of the final mark.
Boys write their answers directly onto the question paper.
They write words, underline words or circle letters to give their answers.
This is not an NFER paper and is NOT multiple choice.

The English paper
40 minutes duration representing 40% of the final mark.
This comprises a 20 minute comprehension paper and a separate 20 minute "essay" paper.
This is not an NFER paper and is NOT multiple choice.

There is a short break

The Mathematics paper
30 minutes duration representing 40% of the final mark.
Questions are broadly in line with National Curriculum Key Stage 2 tests. Pupils must write their answers directly onto the test paper and show all their working (encourage them to do this as they may get marks for workings out even if final answer is wrong).This is not an NFER paper and is NOT multiple choice.

The that the entire test takes no longer than one and a half hours although boys are usually here for about two hours because a short break is included.

The boys are told when to start and when to stop and when they have five minutes left to complete a paper. Clocks are visible in all rooms.

The school does not supply practice papers because 80% of the test is work your son should be familiar with (English and Mathematics). Practice Verbal Reasoning papers can be obtained very easily from WH Smith. The school does produce a familiarisation paper (£5, available from the school website or at the open day).

The school does not use NFER multiple choice papers. None of their papers are multiple choice.

What is the pass mark?
The pass mark is always 326. The School uses a standardised system of scoring examination papers. Each paper is standardised to a score of 100, a bit like an IQ test, where 100 is an average score. Over the three papers, English, Mathematics and Verbal reasoning an average child should score 300 (although the papers are weighted after standardisation, 40%, 40%, 20% respectively). A pass mark of 326 would usually mean a pupil scoring above average on each paper. Of course some pupils will score a good average on one paper but a well above average on the other two, thus making a higher total score.

The maximum score attainable is 420. The minimum score attainable is 150.

The pass mark is not raised or lowered according to the number of applicants and the system of scoring pupils always remains the same each year.

What about age weighting?
Zero marks are added to the scores of children born September - November.
One mark is added to the scores of children born December - February.
Two marks are added to the scores of children born March - May.
Three marks are added to the scores of children born June - August.

I hope this helps - good luck!

Thanks to Plum for the info

Admissions in 2012

The most recent test details and admission information can be found in the schools section http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ey-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Golgo13

Re: WCGS for boys test info

Post by Golgo13 »

Any idea what time the test is? WCGS website, confirmation e-mail etc don't seem to list the time.

I'll need to adjust my work hours to take son to test, and would prefer to give employer the heads up this week.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Golgo13 wrote:Any idea what time the test is? WCGS website, confirmation e-mail etc don't seem to list the time.

I'll need to adjust my work hours to take son to test, and would prefer to give employer the heads up this week.
Test for the grammar schools is usually 2 or 3 sessions on the test date.
Heard at one school that exact details are posted just days before the test date.
WCGS registration closes on 3 Sep and Test is on 17 Sep.
I guess that time details would be given around 10-12 Sep.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
Golgo13

Post by Golgo13 »

tiffinboys wrote:
Golgo13 wrote:Any idea what time the test is? WCGS website, confirmation e-mail etc don't seem to list the time.

Test for the grammar schools is usually 2 or 3 sessions on the test date.
Heard at one school that exact details are posted just days before the test date.
WCGS registration closes on 3 Sep and Test is on 17 Sep.
I guess that time details would be given around 10-12 Sep.
Thanks. At least I know that it is not known yet.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now