What are reasonable NVR NV test results?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Doblinski

What are reasonable NVR VR test results?

Post by Doblinski »

I wondered if there's an VR NVR test score level that's ideally achieved (apart from the obvious 100%) to represent a good chance of getting into Tiffin Girls?

A friend suggested that a Tiffin Boys entrant, who got 4th place on the list a while ago, had been getting scores of over 96% for all test results. I know it's not an exact science but can you suggest which test scores indicate a safe pass/ a scrape-through or fail for Tiffin please? Thanks
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

It is hard to say due to age standardisation, when you get the results you only get those and not the raw score.
Nou

Post by Nou »

I would also add that the nvr papers appear to be getting harder year on year and the practice papers are not necessarily a reliable indicator of performance on the day.
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Hi Doblinski- it was a question I often asked when preparing my DD for the Tiffin test last year. Impossible to say because of standardisation of marks. If it helps, my DD was scoring an average of 93% on NVR and 98% VR in the last few weeks before she took the Tiffin test. She was offered a place.
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

My son scored 99.28% in VR but only 77.85% in NVR in both Langley and Tiffin exams and easily made it within the range for initial allocation for these schools. NVR is extremely difficult and our scores stayed the same constantly regardless of the effort and practice we put in. I think there is a ceiling to how good practice can make you in NVR. It can take you out of total inability to understand and attempt questions but once you have 'mastered' this bit, it is only so far you can go and it is decided by a child's abilities.
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello drastic dad,can i ask how you worked out your ds's raw scores?
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Thanks guys. So did your DC's marks change as they practised, did they get better in time - or were they generally the same?

DD's marks are varied. They're mostly fairly high, but there's been some lowish ones too (tho no NVR as yet - that's introduced after Easter). So in your opinion is there a standard that needs to be achieved in order to stand a chance would you say, or is it all dependent on the scores achieved late on in the process? I ask because the tutor does not encourage any contact it's all drop, collect and run, so I'm in the dark!? Thanks again Dobbers
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Hi there Dobbers - my DD's marks improved considerably over time. The first 11 plus NVR paper she attempted she scored around 68% ! Do not lose heart - I would say that as long as the scores are improving all the time then all is well - given that your DD will take the tests in Jan there is plenty of time. PM me is you would like to
Doblinski

Re: What are reasonable NVR NV test results?

Post by Doblinski »

DD now has got stuck in with NVR and good grief it's hard isn't it? :shock:

Her scores are rarely in 90's prob av out in high 70's to low 80's and poor love is really losing heart - sometimes we both look them rubbing our heads, show her Dad too (and he's a top notch accountant) and he cant do some of them either!! :evil:
yogkruti

Re: What are reasonable NVR NV test results?

Post by yogkruti »

Agreed... some of the NVR questions are utter tosh! My DC has gotten better with practice, but there are always a few in the question paper which are devilish.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now