Wallington Vs Nonsuch

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kk dad

Post by kk dad »

my dd started started in year 7 at wallington in 2009 and she is thriving. I took a very simplistic approach (probably not everyone will agree) and view that academically, there really isn't much to choose between the schools, so my decision was based on the travel.
I also live in wallington and one of the advantages is that she walks to and from school (about 10 minutes, although takes her 20 minutes as she walks with her friends!!). There's alot to be said for this as it enables her to take part in after school activities without having to worry about travel arrangements. My impression is that she's very relaxed and there's no stress involved in getting ready for school or getting home. To be fair though, i think whatever travel is involved, kids tend to cope without too much fuss or concern.
She could have also gone to Nonsuch, but that would have involved a train or bus or car journey, something I wanted to avoid.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is possible to overanalyze when comparing schools of a likeness and sometimes the simplest reasons can often lead you to the right decision in the long run.
Good luck with whatever school you choose and I'm sure it will be the right one for your dd.
Blush2783

Post by Blush2783 »

Hi there, my daughter also started Wallington Girls in Sept 2009 and has been thriving. Our decision to send her there was based on distance. We liked both schools and we decided being able to travel on one bus with friends was the best option for her. The social side of senior school is also a very important factor and having friends locally on the same bus route has done wonders for her independence and self esteem.

It is quite easy to be swayed by the fab swimming pool etc at Nonsuch which Wallington does not have but again you need to put where you feel would best suit your daughter from the feel of the school. Academically league tables are pretty silly as my friends who are teachers would tell you. Girls do fantastically well at both schools and there are also those who maybe should have never have been pushed there in the first place who find it really difficult to keep up and don't do so well. Both are very, very academic schools. Our daughter was nearly always top in her junior school and found it a shock to be in the middle to top rather than at the top in everything. She got a very high mark in her 11+ but so does everyone else who gets there!

From what I can gather from our daughters friends at Nonsuch they are just as happy as she is. I would go to visit both schools with an open mind and ignore the league tables as there are other far more important factors to consider.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Blush2783 wrote: Our decision to send her there was based on distance. We liked both schools and we decided being able to travel on one bus with friends was the best option for her. The social side of senior school is also a very important factor and having friends locally on the same bus route has done wonders for her independence and self esteem.
I think this is a very important point when chooseing any school. I do understand that some people are not lucky enough to have a grammar option that is considered local/bus ride away, but if you do then the distance is an important factor. :)
abr

Post by abr »

Thankyou Third time round,kk dad, Blush2783, tiredmum.

I guess after visiting the two schools, I would let dd read all the suggestions in this thread and let her make the final decision.

I very much appreciate your prompt replies and valuable insights.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now