Feedback on Barrow Hedges Primary school please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

QUEENMA

Feedback on Barrow Hedges Primary school please

Post by QUEENMA »

Hi all

In our continual quest to find a good primary school for our little boy whilst at the same time remaining within the catchment of Nonsuch and Wallington Girls, please can someone give me feedback on Barrow Hedges primary in Carshalton Beaches ?
I have been given mixed opinions - one which says the schoool is extremely good and feeds into the local boys' grammars.Another view is that it is too close to benefit housings ( Sorry, trying to be as less judgemental and as politically correct as possible here ! ).
Please can anyone who has children / relatives / friends going there provide some help ?

Regards
Queenma
kk dad

Post by kk dad »

a little confused! you have a little boy but Wallington Girls and Nonsuch are Girls schools. If you have a little boy, then the boys selective schools do not apply catchment area unless a tiebreaker occurs.
In answer to your question re Barrow Hedges, it is an excellent institution which consistently performs well against the national and local average. The school is generally oversubscribed and I'm guessing you are not that local to the school which means it will be difficult to gain a place. I'm not sure about the situation regarding 'benefit housings', but I wouldn't let it affect my decision - visit the schooland take a look around.
QUEENMA

Post by QUEENMA »

Dear kkdad !

Sorry about the confusion ! We have an older daughter soon to "hopefully" go into grammars and a soon to be "infant going" son and hence the need to marry the catchments of both categories of schools !

Thanks for your feedback on BH - you are right - we are not local at the moment but intend to become one - but that does mean we have no idea about the local area !

Many thanks again
Queenma
Plum

Post by Plum »

Barrow Hedges School is in a lovely area - very des res! There is some housing that may have once been "social" but I would have thought most of it was sold off a long time ago as it's actually quite nice - nearly all houses, built around big greens. This housing is also nearer to Stanley Park School as well. I can't think of any other social housing in that area unless there is some on the old hospital site.

I can't comment on the school itself - I had friends that went there but that was many years ago. However, long with All Saints in Carshalton (which is very hard to get into) I think it has one of the best reputations in the area.

Good luck.

Plum
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I had friends with a son there many years ago and were very pleased with the school. I guess the only potential draw back is if your son were not to be grammar school potential in the future then the options for non selective school there may be more difficult unless Stanley Park and Carshalton boys improve enormously in that time.
Plum

Post by Plum »

There's also Greenshaw and the Glyn, possibly Woodcote and even Riddlesdown (if your DS sits the test and does well) all over subscribed with with good reputations - it depends on how far you are prepared to let your DC travel. At least there are 3 grammars in the borough - according to Wilson's head last year, boys sitting the tests have approx a 1 in 4 chance of getting a place at one of them......
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now