Mock tests Nonsuch/Tiffin Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

I submitted the form yesterday so hopefully I am not too late.

How realistic are the tests in terms of difficulty.

I am glad that the non verbal reasoning will be in the test, I am intrigued to see how DS performs under pressure. He had clarinet exam this week. At home practise consisted of several mistakes. At the exam he advised that he made no mistakes.

Its a nice early mile stone to work towards.

By the way I wouldn't know where to start with regards to raw and standardised scores. I know my DS is September born so no extra points for him.
All I need now is wings!
WP

Post by WP »

Some stats from the results for last year's mocks linked by sherry_d:

Code: Select all

number  VR avg  math avg  NVR avg
boys     1234    66.5     53.5     60.0
girls     878    73.3     52.2     67.3
all      2152    69.3     52.9     63.0
(The numbers in the second column don't add up because the gender isn't recorded for all of the children.)

But maybe the population doing the mocks doesn't match those doing the real thing.
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

Are these scores by percentage?
All I need now is wings!
WP

Post by WP »

Yes, they're raw percentage scores, so the scores across the bottom row standardize to 100.

From the distribution of percentages, it seems the original tests were out of 55, 44 and 30 respectively.
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

So what you are saying is the average maths score is around 55%?

I know I am probably looking at this incorrectly, but does this not seems a little low? or is it because the children still have a few months before the real test... apologies I am not versed on the age standardisation process.
All I need now is wings!
WP

Post by WP »

For that test and those children, it was 53%. But the point of standardization is to hide the absolute levels and focus on your position relative to others.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I wouldn't get too hung up on the mock test results. There are a real mixed bag of people sitting it, including some who are in year 5 I believe. I think some sit it to get an idea if they are anywhere near the standard.

It's main use is to sit an exam under exam conditions. It is one of a range of things which will help you decide if your child is of a standard to sit the selective tests.
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

Thanks for that information, I thought it was years 5 children only that are supposed to sit the exam.
All I need now is wings!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I think even though those results are random it shows there is a lot of work to be done in Maths. In Kent, the kids need to have even higher scores in maths than NVR and VR. To get just get a pass here in kent

VR: 43 = 54%
NVR: 39 = 54%
Maths: 28 = 56%

But for maximum scores
VR: 60 – out of 80 questions – 75%
NVR: 54 – out of 72 questions – 75%
Maths: 42 – out of 50 questions – 84%

I am really not sure how it works in Surrey. But here they need to do well in Maths and most kids I know got let down by maths and I just wonder if that is the same in Surrey as there seem to be lots of different test by different schools???
Impossible is Nothing.
Isa

Re: MOCK TESTS NONSUCH/TIFFIN GIRLS

Post by Isa »

I found an organisation on line which organises mocks at a test centre. It was also possible to buy the mock papers and answers online, plus get the results from the cohort which sat the tests at the centre. These were split by centiles, so they reported the marks for the top 5%, 10%, 15% etc. This was really useful information as it's otherwise very hard to benchmark a child, especially if you're doing DIY preparation without a tutor. It's obviously not standardised results, but it gives you an idea about what to aim for.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now