Nonsuch 2010 top 80 and in catchment cut-off scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WP

Re: Nonsuch 2010 top 80 and in catchment cut-off scores

Post by WP »

Giulio wrote:Maybe the normalisation is not done just vs the population that sat the exam but against a national population, or maybe the difficulty of the test has an effect on the scores (but not on the ranking).
Yes, it's quite possible they use normalisation tables generated at the same time as the tests, for example by selecting from a bank of previously calibrated questions, which would mean one couldn't assume it would match the distribution of the test population.
AKhan

Post by AKhan »

Hi Guilo/stressed parent

Some amazing calculations are on this thread. I wonder if someone can advise me please. My daughter has managed to pass both Nonsuch and Wallington schools tests. She scored 237 for Nonsuch and like other 600+ girls she received a standard letter of ‘deemed to be of selective ability’. We are in catchment area of Wallington but Non-catchment area for Nonsuch. Could you please advise us which school we should put as a first choice? My DD would like to go to Nonsuch but with 237 marks we are barely on the borderline. I would also like to know how the second preference workout does.

I will appreciate a reply as we want to fill the caf.
Thank you!
A Khan
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Hi Akhan,

I had made some adjustments to the calculations, as I had the number that sat the test last year out by 8 candidates. It was 1288 and not 1280. This makes a downward shift of one mark. ooc cut-off score should be 238 +/- 1. If your DD likes Nonsuch ,you are in with a good chance and you should put it as first choice, you have nothing to lose. If you do not make the cut then you will get your second choice providing she passes the Wally test. Remember all schools run equal preference policy. Good luck to you and all the best.
Stressedparent
stressedparent
AKhan

Post by AKhan »

Hi stressedparent

Thank you very much for your prompt reply and valuable advice. This is very reassurance and we are hoping to get a place in Nonsuch through waiting list may be.
The stress goes on for many parents till March next year.
A Khan
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

hi stressedparent,
thanks for the info.we have some friends who are in catchment.will pass on these figures to them.(we are ooc).
would hv been nice if wallington had sent the scores as well.
if the majority of top 80 are from catchment the in catchment list would move further down.
sgcmum.
waitingagain

Post by waitingagain »

Hi stressedparent
Thank you for your reply - so useful and interesting these figures. Good luck to your DD too
waitingagain
varu

Post by varu »

stressedparent

The nonsuch website portal shows that the lowest score on which a place was allocated in 2010 (entry) for a pupil living outside the catchment area on a national offer day was 237. Do you/anyone know the lowest score on which a place was allocated in the second round i.e. lowest score of a pupil who was on the school's waiting list?

thanks
varu
runningmum

Post by runningmum »

Nfer uses a range from 70 to 140, to Asses the data from the Nonsuch results you have to divide the score by 2, which gives a mean score of the combined scores. I have pasted a link to the NFER website for an explanation of the bell curve and how you should interpret the data.
http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... scores.cfm.

stressedparent
Hi stressedparent,
My query relates to the fact that the example given by NFER shows a range from roughly 70 - 140 ie. the lower 50 % of the population squashed within 30 marks whilst the upper 50 % have a spread of 40 marks. I am wondering if Nonsuch' scores are standardises 'to this example' or whether they are standardised to a more symmetrical bell-shaped curve (as NFER show in their picture). Do you know what the lowest Nonsuch score is? I always assumed it would be 120 (twice 60) rather than 140 (twice 70).

runningmum
KeepCool

Post by KeepCool »

Hi Varu - not sure what the OOC score went down to on the waiting list, after 1st March, but the In Catchment score remained the same - 212 - as several girls scored 212 and they did not all get in. So probably not much in it ooc either. Good luck to you all.
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Hi Runningmum.'

The normal distribution curve is usually symmetrical around the mean. 70 correspond to a -2 standard deviation from the mean and 130 are +2 standard deviations from the mean. A standard deviation of 15 is used for assessment of educational attainment. A score of 115 standardised correspnds to a one standard deviation from the mean hence the formula S= 15(raw score-mean)/SD +100.
70-140 range is used for data distribution to prevent concentration of scores between 85 and 115 because 68% of scores are within this range regardless of how hard is the test. The minimum score you could have is 70. So for nonsuch it will be a combined score of 140 any lower is statistically irrelevant.

stressedparent
stressedparent