Preparation for tiffin girls grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
minubht80

Preparation for tiffin girls grammar school

Post by minubht80 »

Competition, never thought its going to very tough, my daughter is starting prep for tiffin for exam in jan 11, I know I am very late, I desperately needs guidance for my daughter, from where to start and which books.

Any assistance appreciated.

Regards
jmom
minubht80

Re: Preparation for tiffin girls grammar school

Post by minubht80 »

Reviewing the thread, following is the zest.

1. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... lit=tiffin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
> Suggestion by patricia for verbal

2. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... k&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
> suggestions by JaysDarlin

3. AE Tuition workbooks
> For non verbal.

Is this sufficient or any addition to the list.. I dont want my child should suffer becoz of my ignorance.. suggestion are highly appreciated.

Jmom
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Go to a large WH Smith's buy these tests:
10-11 years old, multiple choice, Non verbal reasoning packs and Verbal Reasoning packs both with 4 in a wallet. Do not get ones with Maths and English in as these are for other grammar and Inde schools exams.

There is also a very helpful 'How to do these style tests' book made by Letts I think so get one of those to assist you. Test packs are around £10- for 4 questons. As a guide I'd do a test every day now until the exam. There are also books in yellow and green that have 60 quesion tests and you circle your answer, these too are good practise but are not the same multiple choice format as the exam. Go over any weaker areas or incomplete answers, and try to get each quesion down to 30 seconds per question or less as soon as you can.

Tiffin Girls test is
50 mins of 80 questions in VR and 50 mins of 80 qestions in NVR with a 15 min break in between. Register with the school if you've not done so to do the test (can download the sheet from Tiffin's website for 2011) and register the school as 1st choice with your local ed authority if not done so ASAP. Hope this helps. Good luck BTW have met girls who got in on as little as a few test just before the exam it is possible.
varu

Post by varu »

Pl could someone confirm the date of the test. I thought it was 6 Jan 2011. However, I can't find it now on Tiffin's website.

Many thanks
Varu
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Yes it is still the 6th Jan 2011, it has not changed, and you will receive confirmation of date and time 3 weeks before the test, good luck.
stressedparent
minubht80

Post by minubht80 »

Doblinski wrote:Go to a large WH Smith's buy these tests:
10-11 years old, multiple choice, Non verbal reasoning packs and Verbal Reasoning packs both with 4 in a wallet. Do not get ones with Maths and English in as these are for other grammar and Inde schools exams.

There is also a very helpful 'How to do these style tests' book made by Letts I think so get one of those to assist you. Test packs are around £10- for 4 questons. As a guide I'd do a test every day now until the exam. There are also books in yellow and green that have 60 quesion tests and you circle your answer, these too are good practise but are not the same multiple choice format as the exam. Go over any weaker areas or incomplete answers, and try to get each quesion down to 30 seconds per question or less as soon as you can.

Tiffin Girls test is
50 mins of 80 questions in VR and 50 mins of 80 qestions in NVR with a 15 min break in between. Register with the school if you've not done so to do the test (can download the sheet from Tiffin's website for 2011) and register the school as 1st choice with your local ed authority if not done so ASAP. Hope this helps. Good luck BTW have met girls who got in on as little as a few test just before the exam it is possible.
Hi Doblinski.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I got those books, firstly aiming at building the concepts and then in dec shall focus on tests.

Regards
jmom
minubht80

Post by minubht80 »

I decided to update this topic as what I am doing, users are welcome to update with their experience or share their better ideas with 11plus aspirants.

Started prep from AE for NV and for VR using First aid in English, Elevenplus Tutors CDs, times table till 20 and doubling of numbers till 50. Creating own exercises for BODMAS. Working out codes, devising my own technique to solve them quickly.. infact my dd also comes with her own tech..noting them down in her book.. searching for all the 21 types for VR..
minubht80

Post by minubht80 »

Office keeping me busy, meanwhile dd has completed first aid in english and 1st of AE for NVR and upto half of AE. Very less time is left now.. Got the list of 21 types .. IPS book address has all 21 types and also and how to attempt.

I found very good adv from patricia for attempting type K questions
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 92#p212092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have realised for good verbal, need to have very good vocab, this is something cant be achieved overnight..
English is our second language .. targetting 10-15 words daily.. but its too much for my baby.. advise is highly appreciated..
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

Have you seen this thread?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 56&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HTH and good luck
minubht80

Post by minubht80 »

chicko-mum wrote:Have you seen this thread?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 56&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HTH and good luck
Hi chicko-mum,

Many thanks for sharing info.

Regards
jmom
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now