Objection to the admission arrangements of Sutton Grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Plum

Objection to the admission arrangements of Sutton Grammars

Post by Plum »

Hi

I received this email today:

We have received an objection to the admission arrangements of Sutton Grammar School for Boys, Wallington County Grammar School and Wilson's School for September 2011.

The adjudicator appointed to determine this case is Mrs Janet Mokades. She has decided to hold a public meeting at 6.30pm on Wednesday 6 October 2010 at The Civic Offices (meeting room 1) St Nicholas Way, Sutton SM1 1EA, to enable all those who wish to present their views to do so. She is particularly keen to hear the views of parents.

Just thought some of you would want to know (in case you don't already!)
admissionslady

Re: Objection to the admission arrangements of Sutton Gramma

Post by admissionslady »

Thanks Plum - I'd just gone online to post that very same information!

There are some contact details too for any interested party who would like to submit comments but can't get to the meeting - here they are:-

If you would like to submit any written comments, please send these to:
Mrs Lisa Short
Office of the Schools Adjudicator
Mowden Hall
Darlington
DL3 9BG
Email: lisa.short@osa.gsi.gov.uk

If you require further information please call 01325 735617.
All written representations should be received by Wednesday 13th October

You will see that the adjudicator's letter does not mention the nature of the objection to the Sutton boys schools' admission arrangements, but we understand that it concerns the localities served by those schools.
runningmum

Post by runningmum »

I expect it is a local parent of a year 6 boy of average ability trying to get their son an advantage over 'out of area' boys, probably citing Nonsuch as the example to be followed.

I recommend all 'out of area' parents with primary age boys attend the meeting or write, stating that they are happy with the current arrangements. In my opinion, arbitary catchment areas based on distance serve no useful purpose and should be scrapped.
bugsbunny

Post by bugsbunny »

Plum, thanks for the info. I have just read the response from WGS with regards to items raised by the person and appears to be reasonable in all aspect - as we belong to the ones just outside sutton and not tutored category so don't know why he's complaining that much!
Plum wrote:Hi

I received this email today:

We have received an objection to the admission arrangements of Sutton Grammar School for Boys, Wallington County Grammar School and Wilson's School for September 2011.

The adjudicator appointed to determine this case is Mrs Janet Mokades. She has decided to hold a public meeting at 6.30pm on Wednesday 6 October 2010 at The Civic Offices (meeting room 1) St Nicholas Way, Sutton SM1 1EA, to enable all those who wish to present their views to do so. She is particularly keen to hear the views of parents.

Just thought some of you would want to know (in case you don't already!)
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

what is the objection? or what is the response from Sutton?
admissionslady

Post by admissionslady »

I've just emailed Lisa Short for more detailed information about the nature of the complaint. This is her reply:-

"The objection that has been received is to highest rank order admission. As a result of this, pupils from the borough may pass the grammar school test but fail to secure a place in any of the three schools in question.

In the opinion of the objector this, coupled with the lack of a catchment area, results in disadvantage to children from the London borough of Sutton. The objector maintains that, as a result, some Sutton children end up having to make long and difficult journeys to unpopular out of borough schools."
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

the usual then

local people are more equal then others :?

I have read about the objection on Wilson's school response

I believe the objection also seams to be about wealthy out of area families getting places that could go to local poorer children
I would support in principle that disadvantaged children should get a leg up (a sort of affirmative action), but I am against favouring the locals against the "interlopers" as it was once described on this forum

you cannot have selection by ability AND a catchment area, have your cake and eat it too, a state funded school, not funded by locals, which takes advantage of legitimate rules defined by the state (selection) and then restrict the benefit to few (people in the area) because, well, because they live in the area

PS
also the argument about poorer local children losing out to wealthier non-local children is hypocritical
what is the location got to do with it, they would still lose out to wealthier local children
and what about non-local poorer children?
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

:evil: I am on a roll :evil:
and my closest school is a good comp catholic school
guess
I do not go to church and I can't get a place there for my children
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

...disadvantage to children from the London borough of Sutton..."
it is like saying that having grammar schools in your area is a disadvantage
(I am really ranting now :) )
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Don't know whether its relevant but theres been a similar adjudicators enquiry in the Kent forum regarding Judd school et al. These are super-selective grammars (ie. need higer pass mark than other Kent grammars) )with no catchment area. People object that 'local' children loose out to 'non-local' children.

The meeting was a few weeks ago (the night inbetween the two eleven plus exams!) and we are waiting anxiously for the adjudicators decision.

Reading the thread may held those who want to know how the process works etc.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now