Which book/papers for GLA/NFER exams in Sutton?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stargazer

Which book/papers for GLA/NFER exams in Sutton?

Post by stargazer »

Dear All
I have joined this site many months ago, but haven’t been brave enough to seek advice from the forum. But desperation has settled in.
My questions are
1. Does the Sutton grammars for girls and boys use the NFER papers? Therefore making the trusted Bond books irrelevant in VERBAL REASONING?

2. Can anyone tell me the books I should be using?

3.Are the Bond books OK for maths, NVR and English for the Nfer exams.

I would appreciate any response, even partial reponses to my queries. As, I am very confused with the abundance of wonderful information. My friends tell me their tutors go through the BOND Books. Are they wasting money and their children’s time?

Many thanks in anticipation
surreymum

Re: Which book/papers for GLA/NFER exams in Sutton?

Post by surreymum »

Dear stargazer
Welcome to the forum-I hope you feel you can continue posting now you have started.
It depends really which school you are trying for as all the exams are different. For the schools which set their own papers you need to have covered as many different types of VR as you can. I have pasted below the information I have collected on all the different exams in the area from the schools' websites
Sutton grammar school for boys
Boys.120 places. Rank order
Verbal reasoning (50 minutes multiple choice)
English comprehension & grammar (30 minutes multiple choice)
English essay (20 minutes)
Maths (35 minutes NOT multiple choice)
Need to achieve “modest combined score” in VR and English multiple choice to be taken forward to next stage. All papers written by the school
Consulting on testing arrangements for 2012

Wallington County Grammar School
Boys. 120 places. Rank order
1663 sat 2009 , 498 passed
verbal reasoning (20 minutes 20% of mark)
maths (30 minutes 40% of mark)
English comprehension & essay-20 minutes each 40% of mark. Need to have satisfactory mark in English
Not NFER and not multiple choice. Exams prepared by school

Wilsons School
Boys. 150 places. Rank order. Approx 1400 candidates
maths (short & long questions based on solving problems), verbal reasoning, English extended writing & comprehension
not mcq Each 45 mins

Nonsuch High School
180 places girls
Top 80 places in rank order
100 places in rank order from those living in catchment of 5.25km from school front door
VR (50 minutes) & NVR (4 x 9 minute) tests by GL assessment
1288 applicants 2009

Wallington High School for Girls
180 girls
VR (50 minutes multiple choice GL assessment) & maths (40 minutes internally produced & marked-samples on website)
Top 100 places in rank order
80 places in rank order from those living in catchment of 6.7km from school front entrance

The Tiffin Girls School
Girls. 120 places. Rank order
NVR and VR. Tests produced by GL Assessment. Both multiple choice. Both 50 minutes. Familiarisation questions.
More than 1000 applicants

Tiffin School
Boys. 140 places. Rank order
NVR and VR. Tests produced by GL Assessment. Both multiple choice. Both 50 minutes 80 questions. Familiarisation questions
stargazer

Re: Which book/papers for GLA/NFER exams in Sutton?

Post by stargazer »

Dear Surreymum

Thanks for your taking the time to collate all that info – so useful! As I didn’t know about schools setting their own VR Papers, I thought it was just maths. The schools that we are aiming for are Nonsuch, Wallington girls, Sutton boys, Wallington boys and Wilson.

May I also ask, if anyone can recommend a good tutor in the Sutton area that doesn't 'babysit' but really goes over techniques and quick ways of tackling questions? If there is such a person!

Stargazer