Waiting List for Tiffin

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Doblinski

Re: Waiting List for Tiffin

Post by Doblinski »

According to the Tiffin letter we got, it outlines original cut-off marks and final cut-off marks:

2006 orig mark 234 final cut off 230 (4 points different)
2007 233 230 (3 points)
2008 231 229 (3 points)
2009 233 231 (2 points)
2010 237 235 (2 points)

Hope this helps JG and best of luck
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

Thanks Doblinski
So looks highly unlikely....still good to hear she wasn't that far off and very proud of her!!
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Have you rung the school just to check how the land lies?
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

Haven't really as pretty set on indie. Thanks for suggestion though.
Bilu

Post by Bilu »

My daughter is 3rd on waiting list based on distance( std score 235) and i had a couple of questions. I've traipsed through several previous years threads in order to gauge her chances. I think it was Sherwood's DD in 2008 who was in a similar position, but had managed to get in sometime in July of that year after many weeks of jostling for position.

According to our letter in 2008 there were 21 offers after the initial offers. I'm trying to understand:

1. What proportion of cohorts would in all probability decide to come back onto the list having been offered a higher preference school- but having scored quite highly. So in 2008 (21 second round offers);2009(13);2010(13) is the data, i.e are the vast majority of second round offers to those deciding to re-enlist, or genuinely those who had listed Tiffin girls as their first choice.
2. The main reason for second round offers would be that some cohorts had decided to take Indie offers only, and or decided that similarly had done quite well in a 2nd/3rd pref school and decided to jump ship to that school.
3. Of the additional offers in the second rounds, would this include successful appeal cases, and assuming appeal cases were cohorts who had not quite achieved the cut-off. Would these applicants be offered after/before those genuinely at or close to the cut-off.
4. The final number of children allocated at 120 includes successful appeal cases.
5. How is distance treated for any children deciding to re-enlist, so say with my DD at 235(listed TGS as first choice), can another child at 235 (listed it 2nd/3rd) decide to put themselves on the list and jump the queue if they live closer to the school.

Any parents that are or have been in a similar situation in previous years, experience shared greatly appreciated.
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

Girls are unable to re add themselves to the waiting list. Tiffin offer all places to girls in rank order who put it as their highest preference, if a girl is offered a place at a school that she marked higher than Tiffin then regardless of her score in the Tiffin exam she will not be offered a place. Girls drop out when first offers have been made usually because they have accepted independents or they are offered a place from the waiting list from the school they placed as a higher preference. If Tiffin is your first choice, a girl who score higher but puts Tiffin as a 2nd or 3rd choice will only be offered a place before you if she has not been offered her first choice and she lives nearer. If you are only 2 points less than cut off you have a good chance. When my dd applied there were 15 girls all on the same score, because of distance my dd was 14th in that group so wasn't offered a place until the beginning of May while one of her friends on the same score was offered a place in March. The numbers taken from waiting lists though are getting less and less each year. When my daughter started four years they took 19 from the waiting list, down from 35 the previous year. I think last year it was about 12. The 120 number doesn't include appeals as these are heard in July and if appeals are won they have to be accepted and that will push the number over 120. Its very rare for appeals for Tiffin Girls to be won, if they are it would only be 1 or 2 at most.
mad?

Post by mad? »

2008 was an anomaly as some form of test error meant they had to offer an additonal 9 girls after initial allocation. Louise2 that was my original understanding, and was certainly what the head used to say. However, stories on this forum would indicate differently. Can anyone shed any light?
mad?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Girls are unable to re add themselves to the waiting list
The details of how the waiting list works are found in the determined admissions arrangements. http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... ements.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although children who have been offered higher preference schools will be automatically removed from the waiting list. They can request to be added to the waiting list.
mad?

Post by mad? »

mitasol wrote:
Girls are unable to re add themselves to the waiting list
The details of how the waiting list works are found in the determined admissions arrangements. http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... ements.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although children who have been offered higher preference schools will be automatically removed from the waiting list. They can request to be added to the waiting list.
Thanks Mitasol that is what I thought...although I think Tiffin are not so grubby as to go around touting for these girls as other schools do. I seem to remember last year a forum member moved 'down' the waiting list as a consequence of this.
mad?
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

Yes but those girls will only be offered a place after 1st choice girls or girls who haven't been offered a higher preference so in effect a waste of time for them to go on the waiting list. 2008 was a one off year, this affected my friend's dd as she was moved 9 places down the waiting list and consequently never got offered a place. She would've done had the 9 more girls not been added. It was due to a marking error and a complaint by a parent.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now