transport tiffin boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hasmum

Re: transport tiffin boys

Post by hasmum »

Hi,
We live near Greenford/Southall and wanted to know if there is a minibus service, or any children travelling from this area to Tiffins boys school. The cost per month. The travelling was always a concern hence was unsure whether to put Tiffins down or not, still unsure.

What kind of experience are children having if travelling from this area?
Is the journey tiresome, on a daily basis? I would be grateful for any info. Also how long does it take/what time do they have to leave home. If going by public transport, what route. :?

Thanks in advance.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Travelling to Kingston from Hayes/Southall/Greenford ??

Have some mercy on your 11 year olds. Why not drop them or accompany them in train/bus yourself for few months to get the real feel?

Gosh.... that should give some food for thoughts to the Tiffin School's governors to introduce some form of catchment area ... 5-6 miles or only the pupils from Kingston and the neighbouring boroughs ...

Seems Tiffin's governor live in the world of their own. Buck's, Kents and Sutton Girls' school have catchment areas. Only Tiffin's thinks it is illegal.
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

There are children travelling in to Tiffin from further afield than Hayes. I know of a few coming in from Buckinghamshire daily. Its madness.
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

whichwitch wrote: Its madness.
Absolute madness.
Rosette
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Hi,
As you can read from my post above, the travelling is a concern and we have not put it at the top of our CAF for this reason. There is a private COACH taking dc from near to where we live, so it is obvious many parents still decide to send to a good school even though it is far. It is a personal thing, whether you go for a school nearby or far, all parents will weigh up the odds before deciding.

There are no catchment rules applied to Tiffins at present and yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion, we can go on about this until the cows come home,
but I have nothing more to say other than this post was supposed to be re. transport not on peoples opinions on who should or shouldn't go there- sorry if this offends anyone.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

hasmum wrote:There are no catchment rules applied to Tiffins at present and yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion, we can go on about this until the cows come home,
but I have nothing more to say other than this post was supposed to be re. transport not on peoples opinions on who should or shouldn't go there- sorry if this offends anyone.
Don't apologize, as parents we only want the best opportunities for our DC. The people who are offended are those that believe they would gain an advantage for their DC. What they don't see is that they have a fantastic opportunity on their doorstep, whereas the rest of us have to consider the journey as well.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

This forum is to further the debate and who ever is participating is giving their views. Nothing wrong in it.

It is also true that every one situation is different and they would decide as best as they could in their own interest.

If some parents feel that the best interest of their children is in travelling over 20 miles each way to their chosen school for next 7 years, then so be it. It is their decision. They should not feel guilty over it.

It is also then the right of the Kingston parent to feel that all Grammar Schools should be open to their children as well. Most other Grammar schools have catchment area or other admission restrictions in place, which keeps Kingston children out of these schools. This is not right as both Tiffin boys and girl are small school (120-140 places each). This situation needs to be improved.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

If you feel so strong then i suggest you do take it up with Tiffin's governors.... until then having a go at people will not stop them from applying.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

hasmum wrote:If you feel so strong then i suggest you do take it up with Tiffin's governors.... until then having a go at people will not stop them from applying.
This forum is not about having a go at other members. It is about giving one's own view.

I am also aware that lot of parents have taken this subject with the Tiffin Schools governor, and have found that they are resolutely in favour of 100% open selection. Where-as, the most other grammar schools (except Sutton boys schools since last 2 or so years) don't follow open selection.

This is the situation which could be improved only by Government's intervention as there is no consistency in the admission policies being set by Schools independently.

Personally, I am in favour of 100% open selection in all the grammar schools. There could be some provisions with respect to child's welfare, but otherwise, open selection would be the best in the present circumstances, where all the boroughs do not have Grammar Schools.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

sahar wrote:
mad? wrote:well for heaven's sake let's hope it's hayes middlesex!

it is hayes middlesex

Going back to the original question, one option could be, as some one mentioned earlier,
Bus from Hayes to Hatton Cross and then
Bus X26 from Hatton Cross to Kingston (short walk to school).

Another option, a bit more time consuming, is:
Hayes to Paddington train
Paddington to Wimbledon, District line
bus 57 from Wimbledon to Kingston, stops opposite Tiffin Boys (could take atleast 30 min.)
OR
Wimbledon to Kingston train.
From Kingston station, Tiffin Boys is just a short walk.

Hope you do get minibus/coach sorted out as other options takes lot of time.