tiffin boys waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

My son got 336 in Tiffin boy's exam, but we did not take it because we have got an offer from another grammar school. Also my son's classmate passed the Tiffin boy's exam and did not take it either. So, I believe you son still have chances to get in Tiffin boy's. Good luck to you.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:My son got 336 in Tiffin boy's exam, but we did not take it because we have got an offer from another grammar school. Also my son's classmate passed the Tiffin boy's exam and did not take it either. So, I believe you son still have chances to get in Tiffin boy's. Good luck to you.
Shoud be 236. full mark is280.
hopeful

Post by hopeful »

Guest, how did your son manage to get offers from two grammar schools? I thought you are only offered your first choice, even if you pass them all?

Post by Guest »

hopeful wrote:Guest, how did your son manage to get offers from two grammar schools? I thought you are only offered your first choice, even if you pass them all?
onoy one offer. I meant we would have got an offer from Tiffin if we had put them at higer place.
not so hopeful now

Post by not so hopeful now »

ok, I've just heard some disturbing news and would appreciate it if someone could put me out of my misery. I know the LEA system of being offered only your first choice school came in last year, but I also heard that there was a bit of a mess up so people were in fact able to choose. My question is does anyone know if boys were offered both Tiffin AND Sutton Grammar last year?

The reason I ask is because this might affect the waiting list. I know it often goes down to 60 or 70, but someone said that this year it wouldn't because boys whose preference was Sutton would have put it first and therefore wouldn't be offered Tiffin even if they passed the exam (whereas in previous years they would get both and this might explain the massive drop to 70 on the waiting list). But I know it went to 70 last year, hence my question. Because if boys were only offered their first choice last year, then someone is putting the frighteners on me FOR NOTHING!!!!! These are desperate times.......
Proud Parent

Tiffin Waiting List

Post by Proud Parent »

I've been reading these posts for a few days as my friend's son scored 221 in the Tiffin test and is understandably anxious about whether he will get in from the waiting list.

When in the past they have said they have gone down to the 220th score in the ranking these may well have all come from the waiting list as multiple offers were made, offers from say Sutton Council, Kingston Council, and Surrey Council. With the combined system there is now only one offer.

In the past offers were made to the top 130 scores. This now happens but behind the scenes. Once the "computer" has all the initial offers these are then put against pupils names and they are then holding their top offer (again behind the scenes). So at this stage if someone had sat (say) Sutton and Tiffin and had passed both and had put Sutton top then their Tiffin place would be made available (again this is all pre 1 March). Tiffin would then give the computer more names from 130th down the ranking to fill these places. This is an iterative process until all children have their highest ranked offer available before 1 March. It may well be that the offer score of 225 (or 226 can't remember now) goes down to (say) 175th on the ranking of scores (or more? or less?, all guesswork, perhaps it is even only 130th as the 130 offers made were all to pupils who had Tiffin as their top choice??).

So the upshot is that the waiting list will now move slower, with no (state) multiple offers then the drives for the waiting list will be acceptance of independent school places, or people moving too far for the commute [though I'm not sure what constitutes too far for a Tiffin parent - another entirely separate debate).

And finally... My son sat both Tiffin and Sutton, with Tiffin as his highest ranked school and he has gained a place. Suprisingly (and very nicely) Sutton sent a very nice letter saying he passed their exam and would have been offered a place if he had placed them as their highest ranked school on the form. That is where I suspect some of the confusion about multiple offers may have come in.

Good luck to all on the waiting list
starting to despair now

Post by starting to despair now »

so, proud parent, that would suggest, as I feared, a slower, shorter waiting list success rate than in the past. EXCEPT (glimmer of hope now) if only first choice offers (and no mucking about because of the system not being properly implemented last year) were offered last year. Because we know Tiffin Boys went down to 70. And if it went down to 70 last year, AND the system is the first choice system operating in the same way last year as it is doing this year, THEN there may be a chance for some of us with boys low down on the waiting list. SO, anyone out there who was offered only their first choice grammar last year or who was offered both?????!!!! Please post, as this may help to clarify the odds for this year.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

I understood that only one firm offer per child was made last year - people may have known that they passed at others but they were not definite offers of places. As far as I can see the only movement will be house moves / independents / home educating (very tempting in view of some of the marked but uncorrected grammar and spelling I see in my kids homework books..... still if they will have pedants for parents :wink: )
full blown despair

Post by full blown despair »

Thanks Hermanmunster. I've picked up some other nuggets. It's definitely going to be harder this year, but it's also complicted. You could have Sutton as first chice but only get on their waiting list, and Tiffin as second choice with firm place. If Sutton waiting list comes up, then that will be offered (because it was first choice) and so child could choose between the two. And vice versa. So who knows.... I think I've done enough fretting and shall hibernate (mentally ) till July. Good luck everyone in the same boat!
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

All the children at my sons school (in sutton) who passed last year only got one offer. I don't know of anyone who got multiple offers. As far as I am aware any glitches in the system were minor. I do know that Wilsons for instance will write to you and say you've passed even if they weren't first pref. There was arumour about Kingston having mucked up a bit, but was that just a rumour. There are plenty of them about at this time of year.

Kaz