Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:36 am 

Hello,

Have been struck, reading on here, that many parents have said that their DC were particularly strong on maths in relation to Tiffin Boys. Don't know if my reading impressions are scientifically accurate though! My DS is very good at maths but think English might be his strongest subject. Have other parents' DC got into Tiffins whose strongest subject has been English? And the other grammar schools? Have DC got into them, who are good at maths but stronger at other subjects?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:24 pm 

My son is starting Tiffin this September. Maths is by far his weaker subject, as there was hardly any maths in either paper the test suited him, and he sailed through. He passed but wouldn't have been offered a place at Sutton Grammar as his maths let him down. Bit concerned he may struggle with his maths when he starts, but we have a very good maths tutor just in case!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:00 am 

Thanks for your heartening reply, Scoobydoo! Did your DS have a maths tutor for KS2? I was wondering whether I would need one for my DS to supplement him a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:53 pm 

Yes, we do use the tutor if there's a particular topic he's struggling with i.e. long division :( and also for a few weeks in the run up to the SATs. He went once every two weeks to maths tutor as he had so much 11+ homework. Hope this helps.