Tiffin Boys Waiting List 2011

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vnunny

Tiffin Boys Waiting List 2011

Post by vnunny »

Hi,

This year's cutoff mark for Tiffin school was 228. My DS got 225... :( but I'm so proud of him getting such a high mark. We have indie place as backup so plan B in action.

I have been looking throughout the forum topics over the years and it seems to me that he may still be in with a chance for Tiffin. :?

Have any of you out there had a similar experience? Am I right to be optimistic??
mumoffour

Re: Tiffin Boys Waiting List 2011

Post by mumoffour »

Oh bad luck. Did you phone to find this out? We haven't had our letter yet but know he didn't get in.

You can phone Kingston admissions and ask where you are on the waiting list, that should give you an idea of your chances. I'm sure this forum has detailed analyses of prior years waiting list, I've seen it previously. If you dig around that might help give you an idea too.

Good luck!
vnunny

Post by vnunny »

Thank you mumoffour.

Amazingly got letter from Tiffin school this morning, (as well as Council letter/form), with his marks and stats from last few years regarding initial and eventual cutoff marks.

He is currently 26th on the waiting list but, on asking Tiffin (they were very kind, they must've had hundreds phoning in...), they say anything can happen and it varies year to year.

So, indie form in, we're staying optimistic (and very very proud of him) and I'm sure the right thing will happen in the end...it always does.

Good luck to the rest of the waiting list and very WELL DONE to those of you who got in.
GSWaiter

Post by GSWaiter »

Hi there, my son was in the waiting list last year when the cut off was 229 and he was on 225. If you look at past years, on average, between 25-30 additional places are offered each year though it does depend on how many children have achieved each mark. Last year Tiffin went to 225 just before Easter, but I don't believe they offered 224 as there were quite a few children on this mark. They have to have enough places to offer all children who achieve the next mark below the cut off as if they have 5 places, but 10 people on the next mark, they will not just offer 5 places as how would they choose? Like you, we put our deposit down for an independent ( KGS ) and were very pleased when this innocuous letter arrived on the mat a few days before Easter telling us he had got in.

If you look at the Forum you get to know when they start to offer the next level down but don't expect any movement until well after the date by which everyone has to get their replies in. You'll then get some movement as those who got Tiffin but really wanted Sutton, or who actually go private, start to drop off.

Fingers crossed, you are in with a chance but you're right to have your other option up your sleeve. Good Luck.
runningmum

Post by runningmum »

In previous years they have offered a place to all boys on the same score as soon as the number of acceptances has dropped to 139, even if this means they might have 150 starting in September.
catonhottinroof

Post by catonhottinroof »

They've confirmed that that is exactly what they will do this year. Currently 12 boys ranked waiting list position one, having scored 227 versus current cut off of 228. They have offered places to 143 boys. If they drop to 139, all 12 at position one will be offered a place.
vnunny

Post by vnunny »

Thank you, thank you all for the information and encouragement.

I'll keep checking waiting list and updating this post as soon as I get any news.

GSWaiter, you give me hope as we've also just dropped off our KGS form of acceptance. I also firmly believe that whatever happens, I'm very proud of my DS and he'll do well at either as both fabulous schools.

Que será, será...

On a selfish note, however, as I have two more DC would prefer him to go to Tiffin from a financial point of view!! :|
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

Sorry, I am confused...so, if 5 children in category of a certain mark...do they offer all children in that category a place or do they then offer the places one by one according to distance from the school?
vnunny

Post by vnunny »

They offer them ALL a place, distance from school doesn't enter into it from what I've gleaned from previous posts.

As soon as the level falls below 139 pupils, they then offer all the candidates in next point down, a place.

So it maybe the case & has been the case in the past where there is a larger Yr7 form, sometimes even over 150.

Thanks catonahottinroof & runningrum for confirming this.
Last edited by vnunny on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
la boume

Post by la boume »

Yes Tiffin Boys can oversubscribe, tiffin Girls well, never...