Why the worry over Tiffin scores?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pony

Post by pony »

Hello Everyone

I have to agree with Jess about the type of papers,like Plymouth u say it is maths and VR and also multiple choice if maths is multiple choice the chances of getting many questions right is higher than standard version so that will explain why the scores are higher, and if it is nonverbal I wont say it is difficult than Maths but children need to be trained to look for differences quickly with in a short periodof time thats where they go wrong . Most of the schools dont train them for Nonverbal,the children come to experience it for 11+ only , thats what makes Tiffinexams hype.

This my experince from my daughter say she scores standard version of maths 92 to 94% but when I tried it with multiple choice she was much quicker and always got 98to 100% ,it applies to the VR aswell
it is something I noticed with three other children as well,one last word I am not offending or defending anyone it is just an observation.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

It seems from what I read, that North London has it worst of the lot:

Henrietta Barnet, Barnet (Girls): Around 1,000 applications, first round VR & NVR, 250 get through. Second round Maths and English, 93 get through.

Queen Elizabeth Boys, Barnet 1,300 apply. First round VR & NVR, all with 70% and above get through (around 500). Second round, Maths and English , 160 get in + 20 places for music ability. My kid got through and I am still amazed that he did.

Regards,

INEX

pony wrote:Hello Everyone

I have to agree with Jess about the type of papers,like Plymouth u say it is maths and VR and also multiple choice if maths is multiple choice the chances of getting many questions right is higher than standard version so that will explain why the scores are higher, and if it is nonverbal I wont say it is difficult than Maths but children need to be trained to look for differences quickly with in a short periodof time thats where they go wrong . Most of the schools dont train them for Nonverbal,the children come to experience it for 11+ only , thats what makes Tiffinexams hype.

This my experince from my daughter say she scores standard version of maths 92 to 94% but when I tried it with multiple choice she was much quicker and always got 98to 100% ,it applies to the VR aswell
it is something I noticed with three other children as well,one last word I am not offending or defending anyone it is just an observation.
sj355
deliquent

Post by deliquent »

Tiffin girls had 8/900 applicants. My daughter passed the exam and we would've been very happy to send her. It really is a smashing school.

We actually got given, our first preference, elected first choice for logsitical reasons, another highly competive girls grammar north of the river. I couldn't tell you which exam was more difficult, because, as is the case with most healthy children of her age, she cared much less about test than her parents and her engagement in it ceased the second she came out of the test centre.

You can't really make a comparison because only Kingston give you a score, but her getting offers from both shows they're measuring ability, I think, in a broadly similar way. I'm sure as a cohort the girls going to Tiffin are among the brightest in the country however way you calculate it. Best Regards
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now